Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

shds
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can't find default color option

Hi there,

On the following page they explain how to make use of default coloring for, in this case, bar charts.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-tips-and-tricks-for-color-formatti...

That's actually exactly what I want to do, but in the latest version of Power BI Desktop (and Online) I cannot seem to find the option they are talking about in the 4th image. Am I overlooking something here? I'm in desperate need of this option, because it's taking me ages to color each individual value.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

Ahh, have you added lots of measures to the values box?

Then yes the default behaviour is to give each one a different colour.

The DEFAULT COLOUR option you are looking for applies to the dimension you have put in the axis box:

colour1.pngcolour2.pngcolour3.png

Cheers

Mark

View solution in original post

Hmm, that's not very intuitive, but it does work, thanks! I had the different bars set up in the Legend field.

Here's how I had it set up:

1. Axis: Product Name
  2. Legend: Supplier
  3. Value: Price

This way I can edit each Supplier color, but the DEFAULT COLOR option is missing.

A workaround: By first adding the Supplier to the Axis field, then all of the sudden the DEFAULT COLOR option is there and you can change the Supplier colors as needed. Then just move it to the Legend if that's what you're looking for.

But it would be easier if the default option was there for Legend values as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Just to confirm that you are first putting in a visualization? And also then adding data elements to your visual?

After you have done that you should get the colours by default?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yes, I have an active bar chart (it's actually a "Clustered Column Chart") which is loaded with a unique color for each bar by default. In the URL I mentioned they explain that if you wanted to highlight a single bar you can easily use the DEFAULT COLOR option to make everything the same color and then use SHOW ALL to change the color of the single bar you have in mind. This way you don't have to change the color of each single value.

However, this DEFAULT COLOR option is nowhere to be found. 

Hi,

Ahh, have you added lots of measures to the values box?

Then yes the default behaviour is to give each one a different colour.

The DEFAULT COLOUR option you are looking for applies to the dimension you have put in the axis box:

colour1.pngcolour2.pngcolour3.png

Cheers

Mark

Hmm, that's not very intuitive, but it does work, thanks! I had the different bars set up in the Legend field.

Here's how I had it set up:

1. Axis: Product Name
  2. Legend: Supplier
  3. Value: Price

This way I can edit each Supplier color, but the DEFAULT COLOR option is missing.

A workaround: By first adding the Supplier to the Axis field, then all of the sudden the DEFAULT COLOR option is there and you can change the Supplier colors as needed. Then just move it to the Legend if that's what you're looking for.

But it would be easier if the default option was there for Legend values as well.

Glad that helped.  Re your workaround doesn't it change all the colours back again when you move Supplier from Axis to legend?

I guess the thinking is how do you differentiate between the Suppliers if not by colour?  Only the tooltip really shows you which is which.

Hi, I am facing exactly the same issue and no workaround is working for me.

In my scenario, I am trying to show two measures using a "Line and stacked column chart:

Billable Utilization, and

Non-Billable Utilization

When I keep any of the one value from the above in 'Values' field

Himanshi0291_0-1594552672727.png

It shows me 'Data colors' option like this:

Himanshi0291_1-1594552750513.png

Unfortunaly when I add both of them, Data colors option is like this:

Himanshi0291_2-1594552869327.png

And I am not able to put any of the rules for color change on it. Please help how this could be done. I can change the chart type if needed which I already tried doing but data colors didn't work. If there, is any other way to show both th evalues in a chart and I can apply condition on colors, then please kindly let me know.

Thanks

Hi there

It depends on the chart type currently not all chart types are supported with conditional formatting.

Which Chart type are you using?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

It doesn't change back, fortunately. At least not this time I tried it.. It doesn't seem very logical, but at least there's a workaround.

And yes, the tooltip does show the different names, but there's about 100 Suppliers there so that really doesn't help 🙂 the individual coloring is a great way to make (hand-picked) Suppliers stand how, but what I would really like to see is a conditial coloring option so I don't have to bother styling anything.

theBIbutler
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

Bit confused about which option you are actually after?

If you want to adjust individual colours, just put the measure in the Value pill and nothing in the Colour Saturation.

If you want to have the min/max diverging colours option, put your measure in both the values AND colour saturation pills, then you should get those options.

Hope that helps?

Mark

As mentioned I'm looking for the Default Color option, as depicted in image 4 of the tutorial URL (attached now)

The DATA COLORS> Default Color (and Show All) options are nowhere to be foundThe DATA COLORS> Default Color (and Show All) options are nowhere to be found

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.