Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MojoGene
Post Patron
Post Patron

Can't figure out what function to use to filter table

I have a Table that lists all of the company's Projects. The fields include Client Number, Project Number, Project Name, Status (Opened/Closed), Opening Date, etc.

I am looking to create a measure, "New Projects," which would filter the table so that only projects opened in a given time period are included, e.g., since the first of the month. The measure would not involve any calculation or aggregation of data and I am not interested in just the count.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottsen: Thanks. This is helpful. It sounds like I can achieve the effect I am looking for by perhaps using CALCULATE to determine something that can be reduced to a scalar value (MAX[Billing Rate]) and then filtering to show files opened during the relevant time. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Measures must return scalear (single) values... so, the isn't going to be directly possible.  You might be able to use Calculate Table to pull out new projects into a separate table, but it wouldn't be dynamic.  Similiar, you could just add an IsNew column to your project table if you can know that during refresh time (as opposed to something dynamic).

Otherwise you can going to have to really think about what you want to see in your dashboard and write measures that return just 1 value... filtered down to just your definition of IsNew.   Total New Metric = CALCULATE( [SomeMetric], FILTER(Projects, Clause To Filter to New)) ... project that are NOT new will get Blank values for Total New Metric, and would be filtered out of visualizations.

scottsen: Thanks. This is helpful. It sounds like I can achieve the effect I am looking for by perhaps using CALCULATE to determine something that can be reduced to a scalar value (MAX[Billing Rate]) and then filtering to show files opened during the relevant time. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.