Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can't enable See Records on anything

Has anyone figured out the basic requirements to get a visual to allow the See Records option? I have been through 10 pbix files and the See Records button is grayed out on every single visual I have. I can't figure out why. The dev blog entry gives absolutely zero useful information other than telling me where the button is, and the only other relevant hit I've found is another forum post here where the OP is told to go read that blog entry.

I finally got it to work once by dragging a column straight into the Value field on a bar chart and letting it auto-aggregate. Does See Records just not work with measures? Not even a simple count or sum measure? Surely that can't be it. Measures are the backbone of this platform. A feature that doesn't support measures would be utterly useless. Am I missing something here?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@KHorseman Not missing anything. From the tests I've done, it does not appear to work when measures are introduced into the visual.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
akruzel
Helper I
Helper I

This is something that all my users are confused by as being able to drill to details is critical in any BI tool.  Inhibiting the functionality because a Measure which is a crucial functionality of Power BI makes no sense when I can create a Calculated Field in Excel, add it to a pivot table and drill down.  Please go to this link to vote to add.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/15408432-see-records-feature-impr...

Man this has been sitting unfinished for so long I forgot it even existed. We got all kinds of promises of complete functionality last year and I haven't heard a word about this feature since that August release. I assume the developers have also forgotten this exists at this point.

FYI everyone, See Records is mostly an outdated plan at this point. The currently implemented drillthrough and keep all filters features work beautifully and are vastly superior to however we all thought See Records would work on measures, in my opinion. You can set up a page customized to what columns and formatting you want to show, rather than showing whole records without control. People are still kudo-ing my last post so I can only infer that they think my complaints from over a year ago are still valid. This should be a dead topic because if you're looking for See Records, you're looking for a feature by the wrong name at this point.

peterh
Regular Visitor

Does anyone know if this functionality is still being worked on? I have the August update and the See Records option is still grayed out. If this is functioning as intended, what's the criteria for a chart in order for See Records to work?

Just retested this with the Feb 2017 release of Power BI Desktop - it still shows the original, so-called functionality, which is practically useless.

@KHorseman Not missing anything. From the tests I've done, it does not appear to work when measures are introduced into the visual.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

That's... baffling. OK, I guess I will just consider this feature still in-development and hope that they eventually complete it.

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.