Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Andreas_
Regular Visitor

Can't draw Python visual using Basemap shadedrelief

Hi,

I am having some trouble drawing a simple map in Power BI using Python, now the map works fine outside of Power BI, however it throws an error saying it 'can't display the visual', and the error appears to be caused by some issue drawing a shadedrelief map.

This map is the type I have found to be the most visually appealing so I am not very keen on having to change.

Here is a short example displaying the problem:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
from mpl_toolkits.basemap import Basemap

m = Basemap(resolution='c',
            projection='cyl',
            lat_0=0,
            lon_0=0)
m.shadedrelief(scale=0.2)
plt.show()

Any ideas why this is seemingly unsupported?

EDIT:

Apparently doing this on a Friday afternoon is not the best time, I took one last look at the stack trace and issue was quite clear.

File "PythonScriptWrapper.PY", line 18, in <module>
    from PIL import Image
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PIL'

I simply installed the dependency it was missing. I have had some problem with using anaconda, so makes sense that there would be more errors related ones!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andreas_
Regular Visitor

As mentioned in my post edit, I had the following in my stacktrace (that I didn't check properly):

from PIL import Image

Since it worked outside of PowerBI I suspect the issue was related to me using Anaconda, as previously I had to re-install all other dependencies with pip for them to be recognized, seems I simply missed one!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Andreas_
Regular Visitor

As mentioned in my post edit, I had the following in my stacktrace (that I didn't check properly):

from PIL import Image

Since it worked outside of PowerBI I suspect the issue was related to me using Anaconda, as previously I had to re-install all other dependencies with pip for them to be recognized, seems I simply missed one!

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Andreas_ 

It seems you've fixed it, glad to know that! would you mind posting your solution in the thread and mark it as an answer that others can find it more quickly? thanks a lot!

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.