Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't directly use most of my fields from analysis services anymore

Hi!

I have a report and some visuals in it. They use certain fields. I don't know when this started (these used to work) but now power bi refuses to let me use the same fields the same way again. If I for example have a bar chart and I remove a field from values, it does not let me add the same field back again. I can ctrl+z to put it back and it works and still provides expected values. But whenever I try to put the field (or most of my fields at this point) to any visual, it just doesn't go there. No error. It just won't go. But works if it is already in use.

I also cannot create quick measures with these fields but i can write the dax myself and it works.

I use analysis services as data source. I'm out of ideas. Seems like a bug of some sorts.

Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I still could not reproduce your problem until now...It may be related to the environment, account number and many other factors.

Maybe you could  go to https://support.powerbi.com ,scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET" for further help.

Refer to this blog

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jpierzchala
Helper I
Helper I

I have encountered the same error after updating to Feb 2021 version of PBI Desktop. What is interesting, in my case it is report related. In some reports I can drag numeric fields to values without problems, in others numeric fields behave as text fields. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In our case we found out that we had a "discourageImplicitMeasures" property set true in our model that caused the issue. When it is set to True, Power BI Desktop in Live Connect mode disables creation of implicit measures. Power BI implicit measures are created when a user drags columns onto visuals to view aggregated values, without creating an explicit measure.

Some additional info: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tabular-models/calculation-groups?view=asallprodu...

thanks for sharing!
it was the issue for our model as well

I can't seem to find the  "discourageImplicitMeasures" property in Visual Studio. Is this feature only in Tabular editor ?

Great catch!

It is actually the cause. It seems that in the newest version, any report (not only live connection) does not allow implicit measures when the property is turned on. 

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you kindly Accept it as the solution to make this issue closed? So that more people will benefit from it😀

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I still could not reproduce your problem until now...It may be related to the environment, account number and many other factors.

Maybe you could  go to https://support.powerbi.com ,scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET" for further help.

Refer to this blog

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Our investigations have revealed that the issue is somehow in the specific database in azure analysis services. I have created a support ticket. Thanks for your help.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems to be a temporary bug...

Will this problem still occur after turning off and reopening Power BI Desktop?

Did you try to drag fields to visual directly instead adding in Values area? 

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, @v-eqin-msft 

The problem persists after reopening PBI Desktop. Also it occurs in the Power BI website on that report, and on a copy of that report to which we tried to change the data source. Also happens on another person using the same report.

It makes no difference to drag the field directly on the visuals.

One thing I didn't mention is that I can put the fields in the axis for example, but not in the value. Still, if they are already in the value put there before the problem started, they work and produce a desired result.

NamishB
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @Anonymous - Please check what version of PBI you on?

If its an old version, it might be causing an error in the backend which you obviously can't see.

Try using latest PBI Version- 2.86.321.0

Read: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update

Hope this helps fixing this issue.

Cheers,

-Namish B 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the answer!

Unfortunately that is not the problem since I am already using the latest version.

- Galapaka

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.