Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jch
Microsoft
Microsoft

Can't determine relationship between fields

I have 2 tables:

1. Table readin contains a calculated field :

Actual Date = if(SEARCH("/",readin[Actual], 1, -1) > 1,DATEVALUE(readin[Actual]))
2. Table DimDate contains a date and associated categorical variables for charting. I also created this column:
DateKey = datevalue(DimDate[Date])

How come adding a relationship between these 2 fields throws the error Can't determine relationships between the fields?

jch_0-1623698388932.png

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I appreciate your help on this. The answer ended up being

In a one-to-many relationship, you can only filter the relationship by table like table2, but not vice versa.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Eyelyn9
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jch ,

Could you tell me if my post helps you a little? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution to make the thread closed. More people will benefit from it.

Or please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file after removing sensitive data.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

I appreciate your help on this. The answer ended up being

In a one-to-many relationship, you can only filter the relationship by table like table2, but not vice versa.

View solution in original post

Eyelyn9
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jch ,

You are trying to use two or more fields from tables that are not related. You need to remove the unrelated fields from the visual and then create a relationship between the tables. Once you have done this change, you can add the fields back to the visual.

Refer to: 

Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Error-Can-t-determine-relationship-between-fields/m-p/90848...

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User III
Super User III

@jch what @TomMartens  suggested, but why you are adding DateKey column in Calendar table? What is the type of both the columns? Is it date?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution.

Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

TomMartens
Super User II
Super User II

Hey  @jch ,

create a pbix file that contains sample data, but still reflects your data model. Upload the pbix to onedrive or dropbox and share the link. If you are using Excel to create the sample data, share the xlsx as well.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group!

MBAS on Demand

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - July 22, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

July 2021 Update 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the July 2021 Updates

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors