Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can´t create a relationship between two columns because one of the columns must have unique value

So I did search for this and didn't find any help.  Just to start of, I understand what this error message means and why it is in place.  However, I think it is erroneous.  Since my data starts in Excel files I started examinging the column there.  I used conditional formating to highlight what Excel thinks are duplicates and they are not.  The first 15 digits are the same but not the last 4.  I did find that Excel has a limitation at 15 digits so I change the colum type to text and it still highlights them as duplicate.  I also edited my query in Power BI to make the text and no relief from the problem.  This is a set of values that Excel things are duplicate.  I have sorted this column so duplicates would appear next to each other.

Any insights on how I can get Power BI to recognize these values as unique?

Thanks,

Bruce

8 REPLIES 8
tarunsingla
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try this:

In the Query Editor, select your dataset (top left corner of the data table), and add a final step (Remove Duplicates) to the dataset.

RemoveDuplicates.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply but since it appears that these are erroneous errors, I don't want to delete the false positive duplicates.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get around the limitation of 15 characters in unique fields.

Is the data in Excel file unique. If it is not, then it needs to be fixed in Excel first. I tried to copy paste the numbers you provided into an excel file and had to use text import wizard to paste the numbers as text. And only then I could get the unique numbers.

Could you share the excel file that you are using as a data source for Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they are unique.  I had tried change the data type of the column to text thinking that would help but it didn't seem to affect anything.  Maybe the cut and paste is needed to convert it.  Unfortunatly, I can't share the full file as it very large and propiretary.

@Anonymous so there are blank/null value in the column?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous do you have any blank/empty value in your dataset. If it is then you will not able to set relationship on this column.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good question.  These are supprt case number so their shouldn't be any blanks but that does not mean their aren't.  I'll check it out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.