Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BaronSdG
Resolver II
Resolver II

Can't create a measure by using two columns name from different tables for a sanity check

Hi all,

I want to create a measure which checks, for each row, if value in Table1.column A = Table2.Column B.

The problem is, if I try to use an IF statement in the fields of table1, I can't mention any of column A /B ! For instance, here I want to select the column EMEA which is in table 1, but for some reason, such column is not detected. 

BaronSdG_0-1615472712098.png

These are the relationship between the table

BaronSdG_0-1615472945348.png

Any help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BaronSdG
Resolver II
Resolver II

With the concept of Murtaza, I have created the below formula which works. I needed to use RELATED function otherwise I wasn't able to pick the column in the other table for some reason.

SanityCheck_EMEA = IF('Connectivity Coverage analysis xlsx_https://iontradingcom sharepoint com/teams/F'[EMEA ] = RELATED(components_mkt[europe]) && 'Connectivity Coverage analysis xlsx_https://iontradingcom sharepoint com/teams/F'[EMEA ]="yes",1,0)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BaronSdG
Resolver II
Resolver II

With the concept of Murtaza, I have created the below formula which works. I needed to use RELATED function otherwise I wasn't able to pick the column in the other table for some reason.

SanityCheck_EMEA = IF('Connectivity Coverage analysis xlsx_https://iontradingcom sharepoint com/teams/F'[EMEA ] = RELATED(components_mkt[europe]) && 'Connectivity Coverage analysis xlsx_https://iontradingcom sharepoint com/teams/F'[EMEA ]="yes",1,0)
MURTAZA
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @BaronSdG 

You can only create a measure with scalar values. What you are trying to do in your example is refer to a column, which is not possible in a measure as it has to be a scalar value, however, it can be done using a calculated column at the many side table of the relationship.

If you want to create a measure, what you need to do is use SELECTEDVALUE nested in IF. SELECTEDVALUE will convert your table to a scalar. Try something like this:
=IF (SELECTEDVALUE(Table1.column A) = SELECTEDVALUE(Table2.column B)),1,0)

EDIT

Thanks! But now there is an issue, I need to confirm the fields in both columns are actually = Yes, because if they are both empty this formula says true but that's a false positive. How to fix this? I tried using AND table1, table2 = yes but is not working (if this helps, one column has written yes while the other Yes )

Also, why do I need to use selected value? I noticed that if I don't, I can't find the table2.ColumnB

@BaronSdG 
There can be different approaches to handle blanks, You may use IF nested within IF or AND nested within IF, etc. See an example below:

=IF (

SELECTEDVALUE(Table1.column A) = SELECTEDVALUE(Table2.column B)

&&

SELECTEDVALUE(Table1.column A) <> Blank() ,

"Yes",

"No")

If this doesn't solve your problem, feel free to share a sample file.

For SELECTEDVALUE concept, I would suggest reading Microsoft documentation on Measure and Calculated Columns Concepts. In short, a measure should return a scalar value (single value), if no filters are passed. When we use a measure in a visual with a category or other fields, filters are passed through the measure. Referencing an entire column is a row-level operation and can only be done in calculated columns (just like you would do in excel). SELECTEDVALUE translates as IF (HASONEVALUE), this means DAX engine considers this as a scalar value.

hello @BaronSdG ,

if function cannot work with columns directly in measure.

to use if in measure with columns used in calculate and filter function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.