Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't create a direct active relationship

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a calendar to a database that already has an active Many to Many relationship with another catalog, but when I try to do so, an error of ambiguity appears. The most anoying part is that, those same relationships, are active in another database. Bellow I give an example of this problem:

J7_0-1597937616433.png

This is the error message that pops up.

J7_2-1597938192273.png

So, for example, the blue arrows are active and working fine, and the red ones are not working. They are the same kind of databases and connections, tough.

I have already checked for format bewtween connections (don't know if it could cause problems) and are the same. Am I making any mistake?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Make sure you are not creating a relationship loop or two paths. Like A- B and B- C also Have A-C this means two path. Also if both A-B and B-C are M to M bi-direction then it will create a problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Can you show us the screens of the model relationship, so we can see how did you connect the many and one size tables. You can take a look at this blog of ambiguity relationship: 

http://cloudbi.com.au/how-to-manage-ambiguous-relationship-in-power-bi/#:~:text=Power%20BI%20and%20SSAS%20models%20cannot%20handle%20a,Tag%3A%20ambiguous%20relationship%2C%20Circular%20paths%2C%20SSAS%20modeling%2054321

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Make sure you are not creating a relationship loop or two paths. Like A- B and B- C also Have A-C this means two path. Also if both A-B and B-C are M to M bi-direction then it will create a problem.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships

edhans
Super User
Super User

Are you sure you need a Many to Many? There are absolutely reasons for them, but I would use them as a last resort. I try to use bridge tables first. M2M can cause ambiguity issues in the model you do not expect. See below an article from MS on M2M relationships and alternatives to a direct M2M setting.

Microsoft recommends minimizing use of both Many-to-Many and Bi-Directional Relationships. In other words, unless you are a DAX expert, find another way to remodel your data to conform to a Star Schema and don't use these two features. I avoid them both at all costs.
Microsoft Guidance on Many-To-Many Relationships
Microsoft Guidance on Bi-Directional Relationships
Microsoft Guidance on Importance of Star Schema

Outside of that, you can still create it as inactive, and activate it on a per-measure basis using:

CALCULATE(
    expression,
    USERELATIONSHIP(Table1[Column1],Table2[Column1])
    )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is that Many to Many is the only possible relationship, that power bi allows whe I make the connection.

Not if you create a bridge table between them @Anonymous 

This is a modeling problem, and M2M can be tricky. I am not saying that M2M is the wrong choice here, but doing M2M is really an advanced Power BI modeling concept, as you've accidentally found out.

And that said, I gave a code snippet of how you can keep it as inactive, but activate it in specific measures.

I cannot tell you how many models I've seen that had bi-directional or M2M relationships that returned bad/wrong results because the creator didn't understand the full implications. Removing those and changing the model fixes many of those issues.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.