Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

askjervenboyd
Frequent Visitor

Can't control x-axis intervals?

Hi PBI community, 

I can't seem to manipualte the x-axis intervals on my column chart visualization. My data is non-date data (it's just a simple count), but the X axis section of the formatting pane is throwing me the option to choose either continuous or categorical. When it's on continous, I see the columns represented the way I want them, but the x-axis labels are stuck at 2-digit intervals (2,4,6, etc.) When I change it to categorical, I see all the appropriate x-axis labels, but am not able to see the entire range I want to see (i.e. I only see x-axis labels for where data exists, as opposed to seeing the whole range represented). 

Any help is appreciated 🙂 

X-Axis Intervals.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I was able to find a work around by changing the x-axis type to Categorical, then sorting by #Quotes, ascending in the visualization. I can't help but feel like my queries behind the scenes are poorly structured, but this seems to be working. Thank you for your help! 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @askjervenboyd ,

On the Axis option go to the column and select show items with no data:

axis.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix ,

Thanks for the quick response. It doesn't fix my issue, which is that I'm not seeing labels for items that DO have data. It's so weird! 

Best,

ASBX-Axis Intervals.PNG

Hi @askjervenboyd ,

Check the size of the font for the axis and/or increase the size of the chart to see if the numbers appear.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix ,

Thanks for the suggestion. Font size is lowest at 8pt, resizing does nothing. Show items with no data is checked under the Axis field in visualizations. The data type is whole number, as well as the format. What a mystery. 

Best,

ASB

Hi @askjervenboyd ,

What I could test on this side (letter size, Responsive, continuous/categorical, increase decrease the size of the chart) I wasn't abble to replicate your issue.

I'm on the August 2019 version what is your version?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix,

I'm on the July 2019 version. It's just the weirdest thing. 

Best,

ASB

Have you tried to redo your chart from the start?

Just taking out hipothesys.

As I refered in my testing that did no happen.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @MFelix ,

Still no luck. I recreated the report and the chart straight from the sources and made the visualization as large as I could. 

The interesting thing is, if I filter the chart 1-10, each column gets an axis label. If I do anything beyond 10, it shows axis labels only in increments of 2. 

Interestingly, when you try to do 1-12, the axis label for 0 also shows up. 

I did manage to get it to work by changing from a continuous sort to a categorical sort where it sorts ascending by fiscal month. Very strange! 

Best,

ASB

1 through 101 through 101 through 111 through 11Success!Success!1 through 12, with 0 axis label suddenly showing up1 through 12, with 0 axis label suddenly showing up

I think I was able to find a work around by changing the x-axis type to Categorical, then sorting by #Quotes, ascending in the visualization. I can't help but feel like my queries behind the scenes are poorly structured, but this seems to be working. Thank you for your help! 

Perfect solution thank you @askjervenboyd 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.