Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't connect to a website

Hi,

I've been using Power BI for a while, but I have encountered a problem recently when trying to connect to the GtR website. https://gtr.ukri.org/

This is a portal with all projects funded by UK Research Councils. At the bottom it says we can use two types of REST APIs. I don't how to work with the 2 APIs they indicate at the bottom of their website: I've use the website address and the links provided in the APIs pdfs (https://gtr.ukri.org/resources/api.html) and paste them in "Get Data > website". But, the info I get is weird and is not comparable to all the information provided in the website. So, I'm doing something wrong here...

Any help?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous you have to call each api based on your need, for example, for funds use this one, get data->web and use following url

http://gtr.rcuk.ac.uk/gtr/api/funds 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Thanks for your support.

I did try but I didn't get the expected data... See bellow

1. Connected to web

Connect to web.png

2. This is what I get

Connected.png

3. I tried to transform this file by clicking "Open as". The only "reasonable" output was using XLM (I guess because the API pdf mentions this is stored in XML.

4. This is the results in XML

xml.png

5. Even if I expand each column (as per the indicated icon), the resulted "new columns" make no sense...

I tried the same steps for each provided link for "version 7" on this doc https://gtr.ukri.org/resources/GtR-2-API-v1.7.4.pdf

However, If I use the links provided in page 5, for http://gtr.ukri.org/gtr/api/funds I get the following If I expand all columns 

funds.png

There are a lot of columns which make no sense, but some of them do: start, end, value. But, the table only has 40 rows... and should have thousands.... 

Could be something wrong with the web? From the web I can download all data (which is right) on a CSV file, wich suggests that the "web" is fine. However, by connecting to APIs I can get more info than downloading the data on CSV.

Any suggestion?

Thanks for your help.

Sergio.

@Anonymous I guess each call of API return limited number of rows, you have to look into pagination and get the next page.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I've looked into all the options that the ribbon provides, and haven't seen any button for that. The only think I could do is to expand all columns.

Thanks.

@Anonymous here is the post about pagination.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.