Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BILearner
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can't connect to Salesforce.com

Hello All,

I can't connect to Salesforce.com(Lightening) via Power BI Desktop, I get the following error. 

image.png

However, I am able to connect via Excel's PowerQuery (PQ). I can't exactly figureout what is wrong however,  I got to know that Salesforce lightening dosn't support IE anymore which is used by PBI desktop for authentication, but then how it is working in Excel's PQ and not in PBI?

Can someone please help me with potential solution/Workaround? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The underlying cause of the problem is MS PBI uses IE11 for authentication and SFDC lightening has stopped supporting IE11.

MS Support provided me with following solution and it worked for me. 

To resolve this issue do the following.

1. Make sure you are using PBI Desktop downloaded from the MS Download Center and NOT the MS Store App
  2. In Registry Editor location\  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION from decimal 11000 to 7000

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ReportGuru
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @BILearner were you able to find a solution? I've used the Salesforce connector but I had some issues too. As a workaround, maybe you can try to connect your SF data with a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai, supermetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the Salesforce connector in the data sources list:

SALESFORCE-1.png

After that, just grant access to your Salesforce account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your Salesforce fields:

SALESFORCE-2.png

There just select the fields you need. It is also compatible with custom fields and custom objects, so you'll be able to export them through windsor.  Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url. 

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I changed the entry in the Registry Editor as described by @BILearner  but I am still getting the same error message:

image.png

image.png

Does anyone have another idea / work around on how to get access to SalesForce via PowerBI?

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got temproary salesforce admin rights and with those I was able to use the PowerBI internet explorer for authentifiaction.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BILearner,

I think you are working with web connector and web site that contains redirection or scripts, right?  AFAIK, power bi will block these redirects and javascript functions for security reasons and it will only get current page HTML elements.

You can try to get data from source API or get data from an excel file that connects to an external data source.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

There's an out of the box connector for Salesforce objects and Salesforce Reports in PowerQuery for both Power BI Desktop and Excel. 

I am able to connect via Excel to Salesforce objects but it doesn't work in Power BI desktop. I do not understand why I am not able to connect in PBI when I can connect via excel?

Best,

Abhi

HI @BILearner,

Power query not fully equal to excel query editor, they have a few difference feature and functions.  As I said, they use different security management policies so some of the functions and features only work on excel side.

You can contact to excel team to know more about these differences and backend reasons.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

To Community Support,

Do you know how we can change browser preferences on Power BI so that the 'Salesforce Report' connector, with a custom URL, can access the report I need? I am also running into the same issue as BILearner experianced in this forum.

I've already tried changing my default brower option on my PC (Chrome, Edge, Fire Fox) but to no avail.Supported browser Power BI.PNGCustom URL Power BI.PNG'Salesforce Reports' Power BI.PNG

The underlying cause of the problem is MS PBI uses IE11 for authentication and SFDC lightening has stopped supporting IE11.

MS Support provided me with following solution and it worked for me. 

To resolve this issue do the following.

1. Make sure you are using PBI Desktop downloaded from the MS Download Center and NOT the MS Store App
  2. In Registry Editor location\  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION from decimal 11000 to 7000

I'm looking at the registry editor

tCqm0Ta

but I don't know which registry item to change from 11000 to 7000

I see 4 posibilites

I really not want to play russian rulette with my registry.

@Hobbes2099  Are you sure you have PBI version downloaded from the website here and not from Microsoft Store? 

If you have done above step your screen should look like below. Capture.PNG

Then change the value for PBIDesktop.exe

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.