Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mohammadshareef
Frequent Visitor

Can't connect to Power Apps Common Data Service??

Hi PowerBI Team

I have built a Power App that stores data in the Common Data Service. We captured a bunch of data in the app. I went to connect to the Common Data Service in Power BI Desktop (yes, I realize the connector is in Beta), and I get the following error message: Your region may not be supported yet, or your admin hasn't enabled Power BI for this environment. The Learn more link just takes me to the generic Power BI support page. I can't find any information on what settings I need to change to allow the connection. Does anyone know?

thanks 

mohammad shareef

21 REPLIES 21
sxt173
Advocate II
Advocate II

Still no availability and it's a year later since they said "they are proud to announce availability". The latest Power BI update also has Common Data Service for Apps as a beta connector but zero information on how to use it. Any and all server URL's I tried end up saying the address does not point to a database.

The standard Common Data Service connector has gone back to the "Not available in your Region" (USA) message.

This is getting very frustrating because it's been a year since they announced it first and we have multiple CDS datasets behind Apps that we are currently in parallel maintaining in a seperate DB since we can't just use that data in Power BI.

CDS for Apps.JPG

I suspect they made significant changes to the product / service, and then abandoned the early 2017 promise. With the recent big splash on the new, expanded CDM with two distinct CDS channels (one for apps, one for analytics) that we are just going to have to wait until the Analytics branch becomes available. Based on the latest updates, it looks like Q3 2018 as the earliest.

I my case this is a moot issue, while CDM is an appealing simplification of data access and integration, it's reallly most useful in the context of D365. We have already made strategic product plans to use plain-old SQL, in this case Azure SQL DB + Azure Analysis Services. At scale, this is far more flexible and economical than what CDM provides.

Overall, the Power BI team has done so many wonders at such a rapid cadence, with almost NO regresssions, I have no complaint. Nobody's perfect.

The 'Common Data Service for Apps Connection' links to the Dynamics Instance If you are using CDS 2 and Model Apps. That does not mean that you have Dynmics 365 Deployed.

I believe the 'Common Data Service' connection only now links to your default Instance of CDS which in my case has not been updated to CDS 2.

Any of my new Environments using CDS 2 can be linked to using the Apps Connection Model. 

Solved: (I'm not certain this is the same across all deployments) the Server Url is https://xxxxxxxxx.crm.dynamics.com/ where the "xxx" is the unique Environment ID that you are given in a CDS v2 environment.

Thanks for the info. I spent (what seemed way too long) to transfer my entities and apps to a new CDS v2 environment. It seems the import/export is not fully functional but that is to be expected.

So I'm still lost as to what Url I input in Power BI when on this screen. The App URL does not give me anything so is there a server address that I'm totally missing?

CDS for Apps.JPG

I successfully managed to connect to that Service Yesterday and, it did exposes all the entities within the CDS Model. In the Server URL, I used the dynamic.crm URL.

edit: I should note we're not running Dynamics 365 yet so I'm unclear what the dynamics.crm would be if I just have a Entity in a CDS and an App running on top of it.

How? As in where do you get the Server Url? When I try something like https://web.powerapps.com/environments/_____________/entities (with the _____ being the identifier) I get the following view:CDS for Apps_screen02.JPG

"OData: The given URL neither points to an OData service or a feed:". Do I use the actual App url which also didn't work?

Note I'm trying to use the "Common Data Service for Apps (Beta)" connector since the "Common Data Service (Beta)" is giving me the not availabe in region message.

On that front I do not have a "Enable" button that some other were seeing a year ago:CDS for PowerBI enable.JPG

skmcken
Frequent Visitor

I have joined the CDSAdvisors Group and our Database is held in USA and I'm still waiting for the feature to be activated within our Portal.

Is there any news on connecting Power BI to the CDS?  I am considering the creation of an application in PowerApps, but there isn't any point if I can't use PowerBI.  How do I get access to the Beta connections.  I have the exact same problem as everyone else on this post.

I agree. I'm the account administrator and also do NOT have the ability to enable CDS. As a PowerApps developer, this capability is essential.

My account is U.S. based.

I attempted to request access via the article cited below, but the email address is no longer valid.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Forum/Open-CDS-to-Power-BI/m-p/42607/highlight/true#M1...

Try this app called text plus apk on your android phone.

This issue with PowerBI connectivity is now ONE YEAR OLD, as of next week. 

Milinda Vitharana, Principal Program Manager, Tuesday, February 7, 2017 

Today we are pleased to announce the availability of Power Apps Common Data Service (CDS) connector to Power BI desktop as a preview. You can now create rich reports with the data in CDS using Power BI desktop, the authoring tool for Power BI. Using the full power of Power BI, you can then go on to create and share stunning dashboards with users in your organization.

Many of us in the forum have expressed interest in the capability, but unable to activate.

It is understandable to have a lag between announcement -> limited preview -> controlled rollout -> fully supported feature.

However it is NOT understandable that no further announcements have been made, nor have there been any comments or resolutions offered by Microsoft. Additionally, there was a link posted to request early access, but that email address no longer works.

I have a suspicion that (1) the connector is completely unreliable at this time; or (2) it will not be offered; or (3) CDS = B.S. and there is no market acceptance.

Yeah this is a pain.  We are getting charged for Power BI and Power Apps (and CDS).  Does anyone from Microsoft in the know reply to these threads or are we doomed to being mushrooms (kept in the dark)?

My experience in the PowerApps forums has been very different, they are very quick to respond with useful information.

However, the Power BI connection is out of their hands. I am surprised at how long Microsoft (or designated forum admins) has left this thread adrift with a whole lot of "nothing". One. Full. Year. Since the announcement.

Sure these things take time, but then why not correct the original, and now invalid preview announcement?

manyany news here. Have the same Problem (location Germany)

No news, and not even the courtesy of a reply from anyone from Microsoft who might be monitoring this forum.

I have recommended to my client we cancel the pilot project, in favor of either a pure Azure SQL DB solution, or simply go with a responsive vendor such as OutSystems, who offers a similar type of data service, albeit a bit more complicated and pricey. But "cheap" don't make it if you cannot connect to the data, eh?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mohammadshareef,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at below article which about create power bi reports with power app common data service:

Create Power BI reports and dashboards with PowerApps Common Data Service

Enabling Power BI integration in PowerApps

So how do you start reporting with Power BI? – during preview, you would need to enable Power BI integration feature using the admin portal in PowerApps (admin.PowerApps.com). If your CDS environment happens to be in a region where this feature is enabled, and if you have been selected for the preview, you will see an option to enable the feature. You need to enable the feature only once per database.

This feature will be available initially for selected customers (or databases, more accurately) based in USA. If your database is located in the USA, you will see the option within the next few weeks. It will be rolled out to other regions soon. Can’t wait that long?, If you like to participate in the preview program and get access to the connector, please e-mail CDSPowerBIPreview(at)Service.Microsoft.com.

clip_image002

Click the button to enable the feature and you are ready to go.

clip_image004

In addition, you can also check with your environment and license.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

hi @Xiaoxin Sheng

thanke for reply,

i try but also not linke!!!!

please find the Screenshot below 1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

thanks 

mohamamd shareef

Hi @Mohammadshareef,

It seems like the license issue, have you ask your administrator to check the environment setting?

clip_image002

In addition, can you ensure you have use the newest version of power bi desktop? It may cause the issue.

Launch Power BI desktop (November update or later, preferably February update)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello  @Mohammadshareef,

Were you able to find the resolution to this issue?  I have a similar issue as well where I can not see the enable button as per the instructions.  I created my own test database where I am the admin but I have not been able to connect to Power BI.  PBI sees the environment but will not complete the connection to the database.  

Thanks. 

Hello @Mohammadshareef,

Same issue here.

I've downloaded today the lastest version of Power Bi Desktop (still in bêta).

From Power Apps, I cannot see any "Enable" button to activate the CDS environnement.

What do you mean by licence issue ?

Thanks

Yohann

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.