Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Victormar
Helper IV
Helper IV

Can't connect to API

Hello community,

I use to connect to Jira using the API and I never had any problems, but suddenly I get an error saying that the "access to the resource if forbidden".

I have read lots of articles talking about clearing the credentials, but I have already tried and it's not my case. Actually I have no problem accessing Jira or the the API itself, the problem comes with Power BI.

To access the resource I select Web content and paste straight the web direction which I want to access, I don't use advance settings I mean

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bubble4502
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Victormar ,

The first step is to determine what exactly causes the problem?

• SSO enabled. While internal Jira users are able to authenticate on Power BI Desktop, SSO users are receiving authentication errors.

• Wrong credentials. During the first connection, wrong credentials were provided and saved for Data Source.

• Captcha at Jira’s side. A rare case that may arise after several unsuccessful attempts to access the Data Source from Power BI Desktop providing the wrong password. 

How to connect with SSO enabled:

There’re 3 options you may consider:

1. Create a local Jira user account, grant this user permission to work with the connector. Afterward, SSO users can create Connectors from their usual Jira accounts and share them with that local users' accounts and use the local user's credentials for exporting Jira data into Power BI Desktop. Please note that all data can be exported according to Jira permission schemes.

2. Install “API Tokens for Jira” or "API Token Authentication Jira" apps. Creating and using Authentication Tokens allows SSO users to connect.

3. Use Jira Personal Access Tokens to connect. Jira Personal Access Tokens can be created by users under the users' Profile and can be used instead of the password while connecting via the OData feed under the Basic authorization option. Please note: username should be left empty while using this connection option.

If wrong credentials were provided:

1. Click the File tab at the top left of Power BI Desktop.

2. Click Options and settings on the menu.

3. Select Data Source Settings.

4. Select the data source the “Access to the resource is forbidden” error arises for.

5. Select the Clear Permissions option on the drop-down menu.

6. Press the Close button.

Thereafter, you can re-enter the valid credentials when trying to connect the required data source through Basic authentication.

If a captcha appeared:

1. Log out from Jira and try to login again

2. Confirm Captcha during the login if present.

3. Alternatively, Jira Admin can always check and confirm the captcha under the User Management admin section.

Thereafter, provide valid credentials when trying to connect the required data source through Basic authentication.

Refer to:

How to fix the "Access to the resource is forbidden" error? - Power BI Connector for Jira ... 

Kind Regards,

Bubble

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Bubble4502
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @Victormar ,

The first step is to determine what exactly causes the problem?

• SSO enabled. While internal Jira users are able to authenticate on Power BI Desktop, SSO users are receiving authentication errors.

• Wrong credentials. During the first connection, wrong credentials were provided and saved for Data Source.

• Captcha at Jira’s side. A rare case that may arise after several unsuccessful attempts to access the Data Source from Power BI Desktop providing the wrong password. 

How to connect with SSO enabled:

There’re 3 options you may consider:

1. Create a local Jira user account, grant this user permission to work with the connector. Afterward, SSO users can create Connectors from their usual Jira accounts and share them with that local users' accounts and use the local user's credentials for exporting Jira data into Power BI Desktop. Please note that all data can be exported according to Jira permission schemes.

2. Install “API Tokens for Jira” or "API Token Authentication Jira" apps. Creating and using Authentication Tokens allows SSO users to connect.

3. Use Jira Personal Access Tokens to connect. Jira Personal Access Tokens can be created by users under the users' Profile and can be used instead of the password while connecting via the OData feed under the Basic authorization option. Please note: username should be left empty while using this connection option.

If wrong credentials were provided:

1. Click the File tab at the top left of Power BI Desktop.

2. Click Options and settings on the menu.

3. Select Data Source Settings.

4. Select the data source the “Access to the resource is forbidden” error arises for.

5. Select the Clear Permissions option on the drop-down menu.

6. Press the Close button.

Thereafter, you can re-enter the valid credentials when trying to connect the required data source through Basic authentication.

If a captcha appeared:

1. Log out from Jira and try to login again

2. Confirm Captcha during the login if present.

3. Alternatively, Jira Admin can always check and confirm the captcha under the User Management admin section.

Thereafter, provide valid credentials when trying to connect the required data source through Basic authentication.

Refer to:

How to fix the "Access to the resource is forbidden" error? - Power BI Connector for Jira ... 

Kind Regards,

Bubble

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Yesterday I fixed it, and to be honest I still don't know the reason behind it. 

What I did, in case it helps anybody, was to access through the advance windows, when selecting web as a data source in power bi, and write the jql query that I was using. 

Then in the dataflow, where I was using "web api" as a source previously, I did the same and it worked.

Tried to change credentials and all the stuff but didn't work, I don't know if it's a bug or what, but now it's working.

Thanks again 😄

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.