Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

enyberg
Helper I
Helper I

Can't add value field to "Values" in visual

Below is a link to a .pbix file with a super simple table with Account, Date, Amount and a calculation group with a QTD calculation. Why can't I add a value field to the matrix visual? Everything in my other models worked fine until I tried to add calculation groups. What am I missing?

https://ufile.io/2hdb2akl

Thanks,

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Lionel, 

I learned that intrinsic measures (identified by the summation sign) cannot be aggregated in calculation groups.

enyberg_0-1627488006278.png

This is why I need to create a measure for the data. Thanks to Patrick at Guy in a Cube for the explanation. Check out his answer to this question at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LBgvVn2PVo beginning at minute 0:41:04. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Josh_N

I came accros this as well.  Spent hours trying to figure out why I could not get box & whisker or violin visuals working.  Deleted the calculation groups I had created and everying popped up.

rbriga
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I have been trying to understand why box & whisker \ violin won't show up, too.

Your comment saved me.

-------------------------
Data analyst by day, hockey goalie by night.
Did I help? Then please hit that "kudos" or "accept as a solution" button!
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @enyberg ,

It may be because this field is not aggregated, but I am not sure what limitation is causing this problem, you may need to check your M code.

v-lionel-msft_0-1598519892303.png

v-lionel-msft_1-1598520018941.png

You can create a measure and add it to the matrix.

Measure = SUM(Table1[Amount])

v-lionel-msft_2-1598520068659.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Lionel, 

I learned that intrinsic measures (identified by the summation sign) cannot be aggregated in calculation groups.

enyberg_0-1627488006278.png

This is why I need to create a measure for the data. Thanks to Patrick at Guy in a Cube for the explanation. Check out his answer to this question at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LBgvVn2PVo beginning at minute 0:41:04. 

@v-lionel-msft, thanks so much for the response. I am wondering why aggregation on the column is lost when I add a calculation group to the model. I have not been able to re-add the aggregation once it disappears. 

Here is my M code:

let
Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\enyberg\Desktop\Sample data.xlsx"), null, true),
Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"Account", type text}, {"Amount", type number}, {"Date", type date}})
in
#"Changed Type"

Does anything look problematic in the code?

Thanks!

Eric

Hi @enyberg ,

Very strange, I can't find the cause of this problem in Power BI Desktop, it seems that there is no problem everywhere, maybe it is the problem of the data source, try to check the data source and refresh the dataset.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

what are you trying to do exactly? its not clear from your model, what is clear is that between your date table and your data table there is no relationship.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

There is no date table, hence no relationship. I was trying to eliminate as many variables as possible to isolate the issue. I just want the "Amount" values to appear in my visual (not as a row or column header, but as values).

its really hard to help you without you sharing all the data and b providing an example of what your are expecting.

there are too may scenarios, if you need help you need to give all the information.

What headers do you want in place of the value? So if you want to say what type of account it is, you will need to create each measure for that by doing something like
expenses = calculate(sum(amount), account = "Expense")

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sorry to be confusing. Below are links to two .pbix files. The first link is a model that includes the visual as I want it to appear. What steps do I need to take to make visual in the second link to look like the visual in the first link?

First link: Before group calculation

https://ufile.io/jf8y1e3t

Second link: After group calculation

https://ufile.io/jubbg0ee

Thanks,

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.