Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dustinb
Frequent Visitor

Can't Make Changes to Model After Connecting to Dataset

I've started a new pbix file and successfully made a live connection to a dataset, but I cannot make any changes to the model or add in any other data sources (options are greyed out or non-existent). I followed the documentation instructions by checking the right option and restarting. Any ideas?

pbi2.JPG

pbi3.JPG

pbi1.JPG

18 REPLIES 18
Analyst-Rene
Frequent Visitor

I also have the same issue, I do not see the option 'Make changes to the model' as per the guide I am following

RenePro_0-1674650269338.png

In my case, I have a DirectQuery to a Power BI Dataset in a different Workspace that I am the admin of (all workspaces are not personal workspaces, I have access to create shared workspaces). There are 2 datasets that are maintained by another team, hence them being in different workspaces and one I maintain but is also on a different shared Worspace because it's for a different business unit. Our Technical Leadership Team needs a summary/overview of all, which I have managed to do with no issues through Power BI Desktop but I can't publish it, issue in another feed https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/This-dataset-includes-a-dynamic-data-source-Since-dynamic-d... I assume it is because I need to make a local copy, wich is the option you have to set through 'Make changes to this model', but again, there is no option so I am stuck in a dead-end.

Would appreciate any workarounds or help with this, please, as I have a deadline for this PoC

Franck_ecocert
Frequent Visitor

Is there a solution for the first problem ?

I have the same problem as dustinb but i can't see any solution.

v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @dustinb 

There are some limiations in the new feature. You need to check it:

• Using the following sources as a DirectQuery source is not supported:
    • SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). We plan to support SSAS Tabular models in the next major release of SQL Server. Support for SSAS Multidimensional models is not planned.
    • SAP HANA.
    • SAP Business Warehouse.
  • Using DirectQuery on datasets that connect to SSAS using a live connection is not supported.
  • Using DirectQuery on datasets from “My workspace” is not supported. This will be resolved shortly after public preview.
  • Using Power BI Embedded with datasets that include a DirectQuery connection to a Power BI datasets or Azure Analysis Services model is not yet supported.  We plan to support this as soon as possible.

Reference:Using DirectQuery for datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is the bit that caught me:

• Using DirectQuery on datasets from “My workspace” is not supported. This will be resolved shortly after public preview.

Will be nice once that's resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since when "Using DirectQuery on datasets that connect to SSAS using a live connection is not supported." is valid? It was working some time ago and I used this approach to add measures on a top of Multidimensional Model which -as you know- is igorned by Microsoft and barely supported by Power BI. That was my only option to workaround and deliver what my Business expected. Now, I cannot edit these reports (add new measure etc.) nor create any new report which won't be understandable for my managers. Why was it disabled and ruined my work? Is it possible to return it? If no, what workaround you can propose me to add measures to Multidimensional Model (without loosing the structure of that model, I don't want to build it from zero by importing only data without predefined measures or relations).

Also that limitation, as you describe it, isn't still clearly mentioned in documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-directquery-datasets-azure-analysis-s... ..............

Hi, @Anonymous 

It's difficult, I think you should ensure that the multi-dimensional model has been completed when imported into powerbi. 

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-janeyg-msft  Sorry but it's not an advice, feels rather as a joke out of me.

For example, I have to prepare a new report with ONE table showing: measure one filtered on Time dimension to 2019 and in the same table I need second measure filtered on Time dimension to 2020. What’s your solution for this on Multidimensional in Power BI? “write appropriate measures on cube” is not an option to me. Especially that without Direct Query for datasets based on SSAS, Power BI doesn’t see hidden measures (and to compare: you can easily use them in Excel, that is ridiculous) and I won't proceed adding measures which are simply previous measures crossed with dimension because our cube has >1K users and the won't agree for such a mess!!!! I was able to write “new measures” which were simply filtered versions of measures or showing hidden measures but I’m no longer able to do it so please, propose a solution. If there’s none, then I demand the feature of "Using DirectQuery on datasets that connect to SSAS using a live connection" to be supported AGAIN because that one was working and I have reports to prove it. 

Hi, @Anonymous 

Tabular models provide users the ability to create implicit measures such as count, sum, or average on fields. For multidimensional models, because dimension attribute data is stored is stored differently, querying implicit measures can take a long time. Because of this, implicit measures against multidimensional models are not available in Power BI.

Powerbi has limitations for multi-dimensional models. This is the fact. You can only perferct the model in SSDT.

Reference: DAX for multidimensional models in SQL Server Analysis Services | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Anonymous
Not applicable

But I have Multidimensional not Tabular so any other advice than "using Tabular is better"? We paid for Multidimensional and we pay for Power BI, both Microsoft solutions. 

Hi, @Anonymous 

Sorry. That's it, there is no good way. You can submit your idea to help us improve powerbi:Ideas (powerbi.com)

Best Regards

Janey Guo

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@dustinb 

This is correct.  There is a .pbix that has the actual data model in it, the one you published to PowerBI originally.  Your new file is just linking to that model.  You would have to make changes to the model in that original .pbix file and publish it again.

I should be able to make a composite model and add in other data sources, no?

This is what I'd expect to see:

Inkedimage-11_LI.jpg

Hi, @dustinb 

Yes, You need to click the button 'make changes to the model',then it will change to DQ and you can do other options.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes, the whole issue is that those options do not appear for me. The screenshot I marked is not my own.

Hi, @dustinb 

We can't see where your problem is. So, Can you share the screenshot of your bottom right corner?

Best Regards

Janey Guo

Hi,@kabanowster 

The problem I said is not that you have no problem, but that we can't find the basis for judging the problem from your description.Thanks!

"We can't see where your problem is"? Do you have problem reading English?

The button to "make changes" is missing for me too. I have set the preview feature for Direct Query like the OP. After connecting live to dataset I can't make a composite model from it.

hi @kabanowster,
You must have the datasets in a different workspace than "my workspace". Try it and tell me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.