Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dustinb
Frequent Visitor

Can't Load Template Without Data

I made a report, and exported the template as .pbit type. When I load the pbit template into a blank report, it automatically starts the previous queries and loads the related tables. My understanding is that the point of the template is to strip any associated data. What's going on? FYI my data source is a dataflow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dustinb 

The old data source information is stored in the template file. Since you have connected to these data sources from your computer before and the credentials are stored in your Power BI Desktop, it will connect to these data sources automatically when you open a template file or import a template into a blank report on the same computer. If you open it on another computer, it will pop up a window to let you enter the credentials to connect to these data sources.

If you want to change data sources, you can change it in Data source settings or in Advanced editor of Power Query. Reference: https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-change-data-source-of-existing-report-in-power-bi/

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@dustinb 

When you are using Pbit file you need to first connect to the current data and then start working!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Shouldn't I be able to import the template either way? Here is what I've tried:

1. Import template in blank report
  2. Queries/tables from previous project are auto inserted

1. Open new report
  2. Connect to xls data source
  3. Run query, load tables
  4. Import template
  5. queries and tables from previous project automatically overwrite current data

What am I doing wrong?

Hi @dustinb 

The old data source information is stored in the template file. Since you have connected to these data sources from your computer before and the credentials are stored in your Power BI Desktop, it will connect to these data sources automatically when you open a template file or import a template into a blank report on the same computer. If you open it on another computer, it will pop up a window to let you enter the credentials to connect to these data sources.

If you want to change data sources, you can change it in Data source settings or in Advanced editor of Power Query. Reference: https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/article/how-to-change-data-source-of-existing-report-in-power-bi/

Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang
If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help other members find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @dustinb ,  @v-jingzhang ,

I am not attempting to provide an answer, so please bear with me.  I believe  I have experienced been through the pain and hence my interest.

I think, the question can be interepreted in 2 ways:

1. When I open a Power BI template using Power BI Desktop, why does it always fetch data from the underlying data source? (I just want to open the template and view the design, so why do a long connection)
  2. When I open a Power BI template using Power BI Desktop, how do I specify the connection parameters of the underlying data source?

I think Question 1 is a limitation of the product. Power BI needs "some data source" and use the data source +template combination to create a PBIX.

I think Question 2 can be addressed easily via parameters. 

Thanks,

Sau

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.