Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HarshaBatuka
Helper I
Helper I

Can someone give me suggestions on creating a shape file for shape map of a country called Nigeria

Can someone give me suggestions on creating a shapefile for shape map of a country called Nigeria including states and districts?

and steps to import that file to power bi  desktop 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HarshaBatuka,

You can download the .shp file for country Nigeria via this site, then you can convert the .shp file to TopoJSON format via this tool. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-shape-map#use-custom-maps

In Power BI desktop, create a table which contains Nigeria states data, set Data Category for the State column as State or Province. Add a shape map into the report, import TopoJSON format file which you get above to the shape map. You can see attached sample file. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @HarshaBatuka,

Please drag .dbf, .prj and .shp files to mapshaper tool then export to TopoJSON file. See detail steps below: 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HarshaBatuka,

You can download the .shp file for country Nigeria via this site, then you can convert the .shp file to TopoJSON format via this tool. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-shape-map#use-custom-maps

In Power BI desktop, create a table which contains Nigeria states data, set Data Category for the State column as State or Province. Add a shape map into the report, import TopoJSON format file which you get above to the shape map. You can see attached sample file. 

q3.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

@v-qiuyu-msft

Hi,

I downloaded Nigeria zip file and tried changing the .shp file to topojson and imported them to power bi desktop.

but when I point the cursor on some state it just says state undefined on the custom map 

and when I do it on the sample file you sent me it shows the state name.

Am I missing something?

Can you give me step wise instructions like what all files do I need to change in the converting tile and what all options to select on the tool before exporting to topo json?

tool to convert .shp to topo json.JPG

Hi @HarshaBatuka,

Please drag .dbf, .prj and .shp files to mapshaper tool then export to TopoJSON file. See detail steps below: 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Thank You @v-qiuyu-msft

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.