Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rickylee
Helper III
Helper III

Can power bi refresh data automatically when new data comes to dynamic 365 database?

Hello,

I have a revenue table in power bi (which uses dynamic 365 as the data source) and it is published to dynamic 365 dashboard on a daily basis. However, it is all manually done at the moment. I need to refresh the data in power bi and publish to dynamic 365 dashboard on a daily basis. 

Is there a way to automate this? I.e. If new data comes to dynamic 365, power bi will refresh the data automatically and publsih it back to dynamic 365 dashboard?

I have search some forum and found out about rest API but I am not a programmer. Do we have other ways to achieve this?

Thanks,
Ricky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rickylee,

As I understand, you have a power BI report whcih you then publish to the Power BI Service and then from there to dyamic 365 dashboard - correct?

If so, you can achieve referehsing with scheduled refresh:

refresh1.PNGrefresh2.PNG

However, the scheduled refresh is fixed so it only happens at the time you've selected - and it is limited to 8 refreshes per day for free and pro users and 48 refrehses a day for premium users.

If you want to "force" a refresh every time data is changed, make a Flow with Microsoft Flow. This solution requires you to make a PowerBI custom connecter in Microsoft Flow. and I got it done with easy-to-follow instructions from this blog. I needed a similar refreshing feature for one of my reports and the only solution I found was making a Flow with Microsoft Flow and creating a custom Power BI connector to Flow. Please note, that the 8 or 48 refreshes a day limit still exists even if you use Flow.

Br,

T

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rickylee,

As I understand, you have a power BI report whcih you then publish to the Power BI Service and then from there to dyamic 365 dashboard - correct?

If so, you can achieve referehsing with scheduled refresh:

refresh1.PNGrefresh2.PNG

However, the scheduled refresh is fixed so it only happens at the time you've selected - and it is limited to 8 refreshes per day for free and pro users and 48 refrehses a day for premium users.

If you want to "force" a refresh every time data is changed, make a Flow with Microsoft Flow. This solution requires you to make a PowerBI custom connecter in Microsoft Flow. and I got it done with easy-to-follow instructions from this blog. I needed a similar refreshing feature for one of my reports and the only solution I found was making a Flow with Microsoft Flow and creating a custom Power BI connector to Flow. Please note, that the 8 or 48 refreshes a day limit still exists even if you use Flow.

Br,

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Anonymous,

That was a really cool blog post; thanks for the link. Are you saying that if you set this up, there is still the 8 refreshes a day limit? Meaning that the Microsoft Flow will fail after its 8th execution?

Thanks,

Parker

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous,

To my knowledge, yes. I can't remember which one fails Flow or Power Bi but you'll get an error. IT depends on your Power Bi workspace/license: Pro gives 8 times and Premium 48 - this might have changed, I'm not sure.

However if you connect with direct query instead of import then the refresh is automatic and changes in the data automatically appear in your reports.

Br,

T

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous. I appreciate the info

Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You may look at using FLOW to do this.  Also PowerBI supports straming (live) data sets that might meet you needs but there are limitaitons. 

Thank you for the heads-up.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

I believe you published your reporting on powerbi service, if yes then you can schedule data refresh in powerbi service , 8 times a day maximum .

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.