Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gracez
Frequent Visitor

Can not use **@**.onmicrosoft email sign in power bi desktop

I bought Power BI Pro without an organization email account, so Microsoft asked me to create a new account ending on "onmicrosoft".

For now, I can use this account to log in to Power BI Service, but can not sign into Power BI Desktop. Therefore, I can not publish reports from my Power BI Desktop to the service.

Below is the warning when I sign in to Power BI Desktop with this account.

tempsnip.png

6 REPLIES 6
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@gracez 

very sorry to hear that!  In that case you will not be able to use the license purchased in the org account. you must purchase with onmicrosoft account only. Basically , you cannot have desktop logged in one account and microsoft account with another!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

gracez
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, Vijay,

As you said, because I do not have an org account, I had to purchase with "onmicrosoft" account which Microsoft indicated me to create.

You: "Basically, you cannot have desktop logged in one account and Microsoft account with another!"

Clarify to me, if I understand you. Microsoft gave me an "onmicrosoft" account which I can log in to https://portal.office.com/ and Microsoft 365 admin center, but, can not log in to Power BI Desktop.

I want to login with the same account, but Power BI Desktop won't let me.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@gracez 

When you have purchased Pro License using your Org Account , no need to create "Onmicrosoft Account"

Login to server using your org account credentials and you must be able to publish reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

gracez
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, everyone, it is my mistake. The email address should include the last domain part".com".

Now it works after I entered the whole address.

gracez
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, VijayP

I got laid off, so I do not have an org account.

you can still create a free account https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/service-self-service-signup-for-power-bi

but that wont give you access to the organisations power bi service .

as Vijay says you need to log into the same tenant if you want to publish to the organisation.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.