Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

simp
Helper I
Helper I

Can not hyperlink to file in computer

Hello,

In current May update we have URL type support for file,

I already format column's data category as Web URL but still not working,

Here is for example --> file://D:/File.xlsb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @simp

As @Phil_Seamark just cited, it would work if we do exactly as the document said. Though this isn't that smart.

1. File link just works in Power BI Service.

2. If click or right click doesn't work. we can right click and copy the "link address" (in chrome). Then paste in the browser. It works. If the file can't be opened by the browser, it would be downloaded as a file.

3. It just works in local meachine.

Hope this helps.

Can not hyperlink to file in computer.jpg

Best regards.

Dale 

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone find a solution? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Facing the same issue - I'll be hunting for an update on this topic 🙂 thank you

Nodari
Frequent Visitor

same problem but in 2020 . anything new with that file:// ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, Is there any update available where we can just click the local file url and it can redirect ??

Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @simp

That address won't work when you pubish to the webservice as it will have no idea what (or where) the D:\ is.  

Did you intend for it to work up in the Web Service?

Cheers,

Phil

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Phil_Seamark,

I just look at the current update regarding file type, like this screenshot: file://C:/Users/amac/Onedrive - Microsoft/Notes.docx

fyi, i am just using power bi for desktop

Am i missing something?

Oh yeah, having a little play now.

"If you want to use file URLs, there are some limitations. They will not open in the Power BI Desktop, only in web browsers. For most browsers, you will need to right click on the link, copy the link address, and paste the URL in a new tab."

It seems like there are limitations but it should work.  It's not working for me and I'm trying a variety of file types.  xslx and txt etc.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

How to get it work? any example...

Hi, @simp

As @Phil_Seamark just cited, it would work if we do exactly as the document said. Though this isn't that smart.

1. File link just works in Power BI Service.

2. If click or right click doesn't work. we can right click and copy the "link address" (in chrome). Then paste in the browser. It works. If the file can't be opened by the browser, it would be downloaded as a file.

3. It just works in local meachine.

Hope this helps.

Can not hyperlink to file in computer.jpg

Best regards.

Dale 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

I have a pdf file.

the path I used was file://C:/.... 

When I right click (working on the power bi service) the only option I get is to select "Show Data" (coming from the Power BI menu).

I don't get the brother menu so there is no option to right click and copy the "link address"

Thanks for any help....

Show Data.png 

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I have a the same issue as the OP, and I beliveve a valid use-case. I am trying to build a dashboard to help search for similar jobs done previously to assist in producing a proposal. Once a previous job with the right sort of criteria has been identified, the user should be able to click on a link to open up the directory on a network drive that contains all the design documentation that was produced.

As mentioned by others, an http:// url works fine, but a file:// URL is blocked, although right click cut and paste does allow the location to be opened. This is not going to be intuitive for the users, though.

The design documentation can't be moved from the file server, there is too much impact. While installing a WebDav server to point at the file system would work around the protocol block, it would lead to other complications when trying to edit/copy the design documentation.

The restriction must be a security setting somewhere, and should be able to be adjusted. Does anybody know if there is a solution, or if one is being worked on, or failing that where I would be best to escalate this as a feature request?

Ironically, I can achieve what the users are asking for in Excel, but the point of trying to move to Power BI is to get away from shared Excel spreadsheets....

Hi @astewart18

I am sorry for the inconvenience. This is from the official blog: power-bi-desktop-may-feature-summary. Maybe you could try another type of link. And you could vote an idea or create one here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas?query=ftp

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Okay, i understand right now

Thank you

Hope next version we can do it (click and go to web browser or able to copy the file type URL) right from power bi for desktop

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.