Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nirrobi
Helper V
Helper V

Can not connect to Oracle database - newest version

Hi all,

I have probplem that I can not get data from oracle in the newest version of Power BI Desktop

version:2.35.4399.381 32-bit

When I try to get data from oracle I get immediatly the error:

"

The connector cannot be used because you are missing one or more required components.

"

The strange thing is that I have files that already connect to oracle and everything work OK.

Can someone face the same problem? / know the solution?

Many thanks.

Nir.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Nir,

Based on the above error message, the connector might be corrupted. Please firstly uninstall your Oracle client if you have installed it before, then download the latest 32-bit Oracle client from this link and install it on your machine.

Once the Oracle client is properly installed, enter the connection details in TNSnames.ora file, then connect to Oracle database from Power BI Desktop and check if it is successful. Alternatively, you can connect to the Oracle Database via EZConnect connection string. For more details, please review the following similar blog.

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/07/connecting-to-an-oracle-database-from-power-pivot/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

NOTE:  Sorry.  Please disregard my response.  Didn't see earlier posts where you said you installed the most recent Oracle Instant Client.

You may need to update your Oracle Instant Client version???

I am using Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.1.0 and accessing Oracle 11g database.

Data Connections have been working in PowerBI Desktop until I installed May/June 2016 version of PowerBI Desktop.

I think I need to update Oracle Instant Client to at least version 11.2.0.3.0.  I saw a matrix listing compatibility among versions, but I can't find it now.  I am going to try newer instant client version within the next day or so.

If 11.2.0.3.0 doesn't work, will try instant client version 12.1.0.2.0

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ZLJ
Advocate II
Advocate II

I've been getting this error today.  Oddly both my laptop and server were working fine yesterday, but both are giving the same error today when i try and create new Oracle Queries.  The existing ones run fine.  

I copied the Source data from an existing query, and pasted it into a new one, and it worked.  So its almost like its just the New Source Oracle bit that isnt working.

My laptop is 32bit, the server is 64bit, so it seems odd that both would suddenly have issues at the same time.  Will look into it further if i get time, but for now i can get what i need to done by just tweaking the source myself.

leeg
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem!!!

Please help!!!

anithat
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @nirrobi

Is the problem with Oracle database connectivity Resolved?

Hi @Lydia, @Wonga

The same connectivity set up was used while working with previous versions of powerBI desktop and had no problem. But after installing the latest version, i have noticed the connectivity issues.

It is 32 bit ODBC driver used for 32 bit PowerBI desktop.

The issue is resolved. Installed the latest ODAC for 32-bit. Re-Installed the Power BI Desktop for 32-bit

Hi,

I tried to uninstall oracle client and reinstall latest version but no luck.

I have oracle version 10 G

I only have problem to estblish new connection but I still can refresh older model.

Can anyone help please?

many thanks in advanced!

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@nirrobi

Have you already tried installing the latest version of 32 bit Power BI Desktop after you reinstalled the ODAC components?

Sometimes the uninstaller for Oracle doesn't completely remove everything, so it's possible you might have some lingering components on your computer that are conflicting with Powre BI Desktop.

Have you also tried uninstalling both Power BI Desktop and ODAC and starting from scratch?

I tried but it seems that something is missing on my computer (worl+home)

The err appear too quick in my opinion:

"

The connector cannot be used because you are missing one or more required components

what should I need to try to do?

many thanks.

NOTE:  Sorry.  Please disregard my response.  Didn't see earlier posts where you said you installed the most recent Oracle Instant Client.

You may need to update your Oracle Instant Client version???

I am using Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.1.0 and accessing Oracle 11g database.

Data Connections have been working in PowerBI Desktop until I installed May/June 2016 version of PowerBI Desktop.

I think I need to update Oracle Instant Client to at least version 11.2.0.3.0.  I saw a matrix listing compatibility among versions, but I can't find it now.  I am going to try newer instant client version within the next day or so.

If 11.2.0.3.0 doesn't work, will try instant client version 12.1.0.2.0

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Nir,

Based on the above error message, the connector might be corrupted. Please firstly uninstall your Oracle client if you have installed it before, then download the latest 32-bit Oracle client from this link and install it on your machine.

Once the Oracle client is properly installed, enter the connection details in TNSnames.ora file, then connect to Oracle database from Power BI Desktop and check if it is successful. Alternatively, you can connect to the Oracle Database via EZConnect connection string. For more details, please review the following similar blog.

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/07/connecting-to-an-oracle-database-from-power-pivot/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@nirrobi

Maybe the bit-ness of your Power BI desktop is wrong? I can connect to an Oracle server just fine on my end with the latest version of Power BI Desktop: Version: 2.35.4399.381 64-bit (May, 2016).

Make sure that your Oracle Data Access Components (ODAC), Power BI Desktop and the Oracle Server you are trying to access all have the same bit-ness (32 bit or 64 bit).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.