Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DirkVDS
Frequent Visitor

Can no longer publish pbix files to the service where a "Detail Rows Expression" has been set

PBI Desktop Nov'21
"Detail Rows Expression" was set by Tabular Editor build 3.1.7998.273

After you have set a "Detail Rows Expression" on either table or measure, you can no longer publish the file to the PBI Service

Example of Expression used

SELECTCOLUMNS(
  'Sales',
  "Order Number", 'Sales'[Order Number],
  "Quantity", 'Sales'[Quantity],
  "Product", RELATED( 'Product'[Product Name] )
)

When publishing the file to a workspace you receive an error: An error occurred while attempting to publish ‘file name.pbix’: The remote server returned an error. (400) Bad Request.
If you set the Detail Rows Expression back to blank, you can publish the file without any problem.

Does anyone experience the same issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DirkVDS
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ibendlin,

Thanks for you reply, but I dind't think there was anything wrong with the syntax (an example from SQLBI.eu did have the same problem and error)

I finally was able to solve my problem.

It seems that setting the "Details Row Expression" in the pbix file requires a Premium workspace.

If I want to upload the file to a Pro workspace, I get the error.

But if I upload it to a Premium or PPU workspace, it just works.

Dirk

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DirkVDS
Frequent Visitor

Hi Ibendlin,

Thanks for you reply, but I dind't think there was anything wrong with the syntax (an example from SQLBI.eu did have the same problem and error)

I finally was able to solve my problem.

It seems that setting the "Details Row Expression" in the pbix file requires a Premium workspace.

If I want to upload the file to a Pro workspace, I get the error.

But if I upload it to a Premium or PPU workspace, it just works.

Dirk

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Maybe this is related?

"Pay attention to the syntax. DETAILROWS is a table function and can be combined with any other DAX expression that allows a table. However, the argument of DETAILROWS should be a single measure and Visual Studio will return a warning if you provide another type of argument. If you use a more complex expression and you deploy it the user will get an error saying “An unexpected exception occurred.” at query time."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.