Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

speedramps
Super User
Super User

Can filters in the Filter Pane filter each other ?

Is it possible for filters in the Filter Pane to filter each other without using a bi-directional relationships?

Click here for PBIX 

The attached PBIX has 2 reports:-

Report with slicers - which uses slicers

Report with filters – which uses the filter pane

The Report with slicers uses a COUNTROWS dax measure to filter the slicers.

For example if the user selects Species = Dog then the Breeds slicer will only display breeds of dogs and not cats or birds.

Whereas on the Report with filters, if the users selects Species = Dog then the Breeds slicer shows breeds of dogs, cats and birds.

Is there a way of filtering the Filters Pane?

I do know it can be done by setting the relationship cross filter direction = Both , but I don’t want to use bi-directional filtering.

Is it possible for filters in the Filter Pane to filter each other without using bi-directional relationships? I expect not.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
SarikaKumari18
Helper III
Helper III

Please let me know if someone had find solution to this . I have also same requirement "Filter should filter each other in Filter pane without using bi-directional relationship" .

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@speedramps , They are from the same table. Unless a hierarchy is created. They will filter each other. I checked your file, both in the filter pane and slicer bidirectional filtering is happening

Sorry amitchandak, I attached the wrong PBIX example.  Please try this one ....

Click here for PBIX 

The attached PBIX has 2 reports:-

• Report with slicers  - which uses slicers
  • Report with filters – which uses the filter pane

The Report with slicers  uses a COUNTROWS dax measure to filter the slicers.
For example if the user selects Species = Dog then the Breeds slicer will only display breeds of dogs.

Whereas on the Report with filters, if the users selects Species = Dog then the Breeds slicer shows  breeds of dogs, bids, fish and cats.

Is there a way of filtering the Filters Pane?

I know it can be done by setting the relationship cross filter direction = Both , but I don’t want to use bi-directional filtering.  

Is it possible for filters in the Filter Pane to filter each other without using bi-directional relationships?  I expect not.

Thank you. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.