Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

changhai
Frequent Visitor

Can filter behavior change in powerbi

I have two tables in Azure Datawarehouse, and I want to use powerbi to build some reports. The simplified structure of the table is as follows:

create table [dbo].[app]
(
[app_uuid] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,
[version] nvarchar(20) not null,
[brand] nvarchar(255) not null,
[os] nvarchar(20) not null
)

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[app_conf]
(
[app_uuid] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL,
[line_no] [int] NOT NULL,
[text] [nvarchar](2048) NULL
)

The two tables establish a relationship based on app_uuid.
My requirement is to find the app_uuid with specific configurations which are stored line by line in column [text] of table "app_conf"  , and then join with "app" table to make some reports.
I tried use PowerBI's own filter
01.png

Now I have the following problems:

1、The default filter【"does not contain"】 behavior can't meet my requirements, through direct query mode, I found that the SQL sent to ADW is as follows(roughly simplified version), so by default the behavior is like #2 , but what I expect is #3.  Can this be implemented in powerbi?02.png

2、I need regular expression support,but I didn't see any options.

3、Can I customize the filter in powerbi or have a third party plugins to fulfill my requirements.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@changhai ,

I'm afraid the advanced filter can't achieve your requirement. In direct query, you can only use SQL statement when you connect to the datasource.

1.PNG 

However, if you can convert direct query mode to import mode, you can use dax fucntion do create a new table using function like CONTAINSSTRING()

Currently, both dax and power query doesn't support regular expression, I would suggest you use Python/R script instead.

2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@changhai ,

I'm afraid the advanced filter can't achieve your requirement. In direct query, you can only use SQL statement when you connect to the datasource.

1.PNG 

However, if you can convert direct query mode to import mode, you can use dax fucntion do create a new table using function like CONTAINSSTRING()

Currently, both dax and power query doesn't support regular expression, I would suggest you use Python/R script instead.

2.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft , thanks for your reply.

My requiremnt is to query according to the user's input(no matter it is regular expression or just keyword), we don't know in advance what user input is.

Can users customize filter component according to our own needs?

Thanks!

@changhai ,

I'm afraid this can't be achieved in power bi because power bi doesn't support dynamic calculate table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.