Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidJLitttle
Frequent Visitor

Can connect to SQL Server but Databases are not visible

Afternoon,

Im trying to connect to a local SQL Server Express Database. I can connect to the local server fine, but PowerBI doesnt list any databses available under the server ? I cant work out why

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you don't specify a database (the optional field below the server address) PowerBI tries to connect to a master system DB. It's best practice to specify the database. If you have the correct permissions you will be able to connect and explore tables. The case with the Databases not showing is likely an issue with the databases. I had a user who could only preview 4 out of 5 DBs. Upon investigation I found one DB was stuck in CREATING state, so it's likely the power query connector can't recognize it's online and available (just a theory but it's the only major difference between the 5 dbs). No sure how it works in express (I'm in Azure SQL), but SELECT * FROM sys.databases in master will show you state. You may need to back up the db turn everything off and turn it on again (so helpful). 

@DavidJLitttle 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@DavidJLitttle  how are you connecting via your active directory?

and if you go directly to sql can you see it?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg wrote:

@DavidJLitttle  how are you connecting via your active directory?

and if you go directly to sql can you see it?

Hi, if i connect directly via SSMS then i can see all DB's and if i connect via VB.Net connection string then i can happily populate the DB. Its just PowerBI cant see any of the 3 local DB's

@DavidJLitttle  dont know if this thread helps

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Limitations-on-Power-BI-with-SQL-Server-Express/td-p/73131

are you using direct query?  what version are you on

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi, Im using SQL Server Express 2017 and SSMS v17 and im using Import rather than direct query. but neither work. The SQL login connects fine, but the Database list is blank

DelMe.png

Hi @DavidJLitttle ,

First, we need to check if you have used the wrong server name, the server name "(LocalDb)\MSSQLLocalDB" is not a standard SQL Server instance, it is a localdb. 

Then we need to check if these three databases are custom databases, the system database will not be displayed in the PowerBI list.

After that, we need to check if the SQL Server login you are using have the permission to see these databases. Finally, we can use the SQL Server Profiler to check what's happened during this process.

Best Regards,

Teige

Morning, What would be the correct ServerName ? PowerBI succesfully connects to the server instance and gets as far as where it should show me the list of databases, there just aren;t any. Also the login/user is windows authentication and the same credential i use to connect in SSMS and VB.Net and both of these applications have visibility of the databases. Also in SSMS the User mapping for the Windows credential is set to dbo for the database in question.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.