Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

uBoatCaptain
Helper I
Helper I

Can a shape be made to know its place and stay there?

I have been trying to use rectangles just to tidy up groups of visualizations. I know how to send the rectangle to the back so that the visualizations can be clicked. However, so far in Desktop, Service, and Publish to Web I have seen the same problem, that in any place where the visualization does not cover the rectangle, clicking on the uncovered part of the rectangle moves it in front of the visualizations making them unavailable to interact with, or hidden. That is beyond annoying for an end user.

Is there a solution, or should I just not be using shapes this way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @uBoatCaptain,

I can reproduce your issue, you can click the place which out of the rectangles then click the visual inside of the rectangle.

In addition, you can use page background image to instead rectangles.

Capture3.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcS
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

other solution: Create a rectangle shape. Place a chart in front of the rectangle shape (move rectangle shape to background layer). Create an empty text area. Move text area in front over the rectangle. Adjust the size of the text area where the chart does not cover your rectangle. If you are uploading your report to powerbi online, and clicking to a part of the rectangle which is not covered by your chart but by the text area, the rectangle does not move to front.

Its a simple hack till powerbi developer will fix the bug.

Best regards

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @uBoatCaptain,

I can reproduce your issue, you can click the place which out of the rectangles then click the visual inside of the rectangle.

In addition, you can use page background image to instead rectangles.

Capture3.PNG

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, that can be annoying. Not sure I have a solution for you but I have seen the same thing. Perhaps submit an Idea that similar to how you can Edit Interactions, perhaps you could have a setting for visualizations that when in "Read" mode, you can set certain visuals to not be selectable?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.