Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlosDash
Advocate V
Advocate V

Can a column be nested inside it's "parent" column in a visual?

I have two columns: "All Customers" and "Customers New". "All Customers" consists of old customers and new customers. Can I display the "Customers New" column nested inside the "All Customers" in a stacked column visual (or any other for that matter)?

I've attached an illustration on what I want to do:

Nested_Columns_PowerBI.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @carlosDash,

In this scenario, I would suggest you create a new measure/column for "Customers Old" first, then show "Customers New" and "Customers Old" on the stacked column chart. The formula to create the new measure/column should be similar like below.Smiley Happy

Customers Old = [Customers All] - [Customers New]

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @carlosDash

You can display two or more values with a stacked column chart.

Hi @Anonymous,

I know, but as the name states, it's "stacked", not "nested". The "Customers New" is actually contained within "Customers All", not a separate entity. Creating a stacked column would display the total value incorrectly. 

Hi @carlosDash,

In this scenario, I would suggest you create a new measure/column for "Customers Old" first, then show "Customers New" and "Customers Old" on the stacked column chart. The formula to create the new measure/column should be similar like below.Smiley Happy

Customers Old = [Customers All] - [Customers New]

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Yeah, I guess this is the best solution to this problem. I was just hoping to avoid another calculated column Smiley Tongue

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.