Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

randyminder
Frequent Visitor

Can Power BI act as a traditional report writer?

We're beginning the architecture phase of a new web based product and we're exploring alternatives for reporting and dash-boarding. I've spent three to four hours in training videos learning Power BI and I'm impressed with its capabilities.

However, what appears to be lacking is the ability for Power BI to act as a traditional report writer, like a Crystal Reports. I like all the BI features in Power BI but we also need traditional report writing features such as being able to create page headers / footers, report headers / footers, groupings, with headers and footers, detail section(s) etc. In other words, we need to be able to create traditional "banded" type reports. Is Power BI able to do this, or should we look elsewhere for more traditional reporting solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you. This is what I suspected and exactly what I wanted to know.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
keajht31
Frequent Visitor

Power BI is not meant to do that. SSRS/Crystal report is the right tool in my experience. Trying to recreate the traditional report in Power BI can be very frustrating, at least for me.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @randyminder,

You still can do many customization as the picture shows. And you also can submit ideas here to get new features.Can Power BI act as a traditional report writer.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft's traditional report authoring tool is SSRS. They have also breathed new life into it in recent releases. Power BI is really geared at the Analytics segment.

Thats a a shame because SSRS is a terrible report authoring tool for many report types especially if youve evcer used Cryustal Reports. SSRS is great a a very select few report types but over all its very non-user friendly if youve had any experince with another report writing tool like Crystal or even the Reporting tool that came with JMicrosoft Access for many yeras.  

SSRS is geared towards developers (aka coders) and not those who are traditonal report writers and thats a ssame because SSRS had so much potentional until somone decideed that they needed to reinvent the wheel when creating the GUI/Interface for SSRS 

Thank you. This is what I suspected and exactly what I wanted to know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.