Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Power BI Desktop that is optimized for Power BI Report Server connect to Power BI Pro?

Hi All,

We have both Power BI Pro and Power BI Report Server. Can the "optimized" Power BI Desktop client connect to Power BI Pro in a Microsoft Tenant? We are trying to reduce confusion and standardize which Power BI Desktop client we use. When I looked at the Optimized client it did not have a publish to Power BI Pro in a tenant.

Maybe Microsoft plans to standardize the clients?

Many Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Are you meaning the Power BI Premium Capacity when you mention Power BI Pro? Based on this documentPower BI Report Server is an on-premises report server with a web portal (Power BI Report Server can be deployed in Azure VMs (hosted cloud) if licensed through Power BI Premium, Refer) , Power BI Report Server hosts Power BI reports (.PBIX), Excel files, and paginated reports (.RDL ) we can use the Power BI Desktop to create a pbix file , or we can  use  Report Builder or Report Designer in SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) to create Paginated reports (.RDL), We can  also publish the pbix file to the Power BI Premium capacity in Power BI Service.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Thanks for the reply. We currenly have the Power BI Desktop "Optimized" version and I discovered today it can connect to Power BI Service. We have a Office 365 tenant with workspaces. I am wondering if that "Optimized" version can be configured to connect to our Office 365 client. This would ease confusion about having two Power BI Desktop clients. One for the Power BI Report Server and the other for Office 365.

I hope that helps.

Dear,

have you managed to used one client for both environement (on-prem and cloud)?

I was also wondering it the optimized version would work with the O365 tenant as well.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.