Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yoshihirok
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Can Power BI Desktop speed up on more CPU Core PC?

I want to know the speed up on more CPU Core PC.

There are a lot of PC which have many CPU Core.

Example,

Intel Core i9-7900X have 10 cores and 20 threads.

Intel Core i7-8700 have 6 cores and 12 threads

Now, I am using Power BI Desktop on Surface Pro 4 with Intel Core i5-6300U which have 2 cores and 4 threads

So, Can Power BI Desktop speed up on more CPU cores PC?

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

5 REPLIES 5
kpmaster2k
Frequent Visitor

Hi , the most important thing when loading information is the latency of the ram. I have a server with 48 threads, but it win by loading 2 million records a core i7 6700, because the memory has a lower latency, when making large aggregations can influence, but at the time of loading wins the latency of the memory in power bi desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt that RAM latency would have any significant effect on Power BI processing.   It is more likely due to CPU frequency or maybe network.   The 6700 runs at 4Ghz whereas high core servers tend to run at lower speeds (typically around 2 to 2.5 Ghz so nearly half) to keep the heat down.

Power BI does indeed make some use of multiple processors.   You can see this in Task Manager as with only one report open you will see multiple CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess and Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Containers running.   I have not tested this thoroughly but doubt it is fully processing in parallel but rather assigning different processes to different tasks (e.g. one per visualisation or query perhaps - others for miscellaneous tasks that may be mostly idle).   If I am right in that assumption then the benefits of having multiple cores would depend on how complex your report is.   So, for example, a single query/single visualisation report may not see much benefit say above 2 cores.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @yoshihirok,

Actually, to run Power BI desktop, we should meet the minimum hardware requirements. If you install Power BI desktop on a machine with a more powered CPU, it might speed up when running desktop and executing a report.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

Thank you for your reply.

and I want to know how many CPU core used by Power BI Desktop' some features.

Features, like Query, DAX, R scripts, visuals.

Scenario:
  Importing from over 100,000,000 lines CSV file to Power BI Desktop data model at Query.

The machine have 16 memory, SSD storage, and currently over 20 minutes for import.

I hope to reduce the importing time.

Regards,

Yoshihiro Kawabata

Hi @yoshihirok 

Did you find out a solution for your question?
I have the same question now.

Tks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors