Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Magellan2022
Helper I
Helper I

Can Only Install December 2021 PBI Desktop Version from MS Store or MS Download Site

Hello,

When I download the Power BI Desktop .EXE or install it from the Microsoft Store, the version from December 2021(2.100.1401.0 64-bit) is installed everytime. I'm unable to download the latest version available currently (2.102.622.0). I've uninstalled all existing Power BI Desktop installs and tried re-downloading either the .EXE or installing from the MS Store and I keep getting the same results where the December 2021 is installed each time. I don't understand why this would happen. Anyone experience this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Magellan2022
Helper I
Helper I

@v-rongtiep-msft

The February 2022 version is now available based on the Microsoft blog announcement and the feature summary of the latest release. The announcement came yesterday(2/17/22). Before the announcement, it was very misleading to navigate to the Microsoft download site(see screenshot down in below responses) or the MS Store that shows one version number displayed but when you actually install it, the version is from December 2021 when you open it and click the "About" button. I've been working with an out-sourced support team for Microsoft about another issue where they mentioned that the bug fix is in the February version that's only available in the MS Store(Again, why does the Microsoft .EXE download site display one version number but the version that's actually installed is different?). I've been going back-and-forth with them and uninstalling and reinstalling for the past couple weeks but only the December 2021 version is being installed each time. They even had me manually delete folders/files that were related to the Power BI Desktop installs that weren't cleaned up from after the uninstalls and still no luck. On their end, they were able to download the February version from the MS Store(at the time they said the latest version is only available in the MS Store) but I wasn't able to until yesterday when the February version was "officially" released. Seems like some have access to the latest versions of Power BI Desktop before they're "officially" released to the public. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Magellan2022 ,

There is now the newest version of desktop, please download and install it again to see if this error still occurs.

I have downloaded it successfully.

vpollymsft_0-1646203105221.png

the Download link: Power BI Desktop 

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-rongtiep-msft ,

The bug that I referenced is a separate issue from this original posting. The bug still persists in the latest Feb 2022 release but I've been told the March release will contain the bug fix.

Magellan2022
Helper I
Helper I

@v-rongtiep-msft

The February 2022 version is now available based on the Microsoft blog announcement and the feature summary of the latest release. The announcement came yesterday(2/17/22). Before the announcement, it was very misleading to navigate to the Microsoft download site(see screenshot down in below responses) or the MS Store that shows one version number displayed but when you actually install it, the version is from December 2021 when you open it and click the "About" button. I've been working with an out-sourced support team for Microsoft about another issue where they mentioned that the bug fix is in the February version that's only available in the MS Store(Again, why does the Microsoft .EXE download site display one version number but the version that's actually installed is different?). I've been going back-and-forth with them and uninstalling and reinstalling for the past couple weeks but only the December 2021 version is being installed each time. They even had me manually delete folders/files that were related to the Power BI Desktop installs that weren't cleaned up from after the uninstalls and still no luck. On their end, they were able to download the February version from the MS Store(at the time they said the latest version is only available in the MS Store) but I wasn't able to until yesterday when the February version was "officially" released. Seems like some have access to the latest versions of Power BI Desktop before they're "officially" released to the public. 

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Magellan2022 ,

Have submited this issue internal to confirm(ICM: 289626619), would update here as soon as possible if there is any update about it.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

HI @Magellan2022 

As far as I know, the latest version is Dec-21, and you installed that.

If you want the lod version, check this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
LinkedIn: 
www.linkedin.com/in/vahid-dm/

@VahidDM 

When I navigate to the Microsoft to download the EXE, below is what is shown for the version. But when I download the EXE and install it, the version that's installed is for December 2021 (v 2.100.1401.0). This is the confusing part for me. The same version is also installed when going through the Microsoft Store. Do you experience the same thing on your end?

(Link) - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494 

Latest PBI Version for Download.PNG

HI @Magellan2022 

I have no iea about this!!! You can raise that in the Issue section of the Power Bi Community.

Appreciate your Kudos!!
LinkedIn: 
www.linkedin.com/in/vahid-dm/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.