Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Frans1959

Can I use the Flow Execute a SQL query as a dataset for a PowerBi

Hello, everybody,

Can I use the Flow "Execute a SQL query" as a dataset for a PowerBi report? That would be very useful.

Of course I can link directly to the tables of an SQL server and use Transform Data. That works perfectly. 

But in a Flow "Execute a SQL query" I make in a few seconds a selection of a number of tables and records with a filter. 

and

Of course I can also use a Query on the SQL server as a dataset, but I prefer to solve it outside the SQL server.

The performance of such a Flow is fantastic!

Anyone have an idea? ThankYou

dataset.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

This would only work in two scenarios

1.  your Power BI dataset is a hybrid streaming dataset

2. you save the result of the SQL query to a CSV file and then point Power BI to that CSV file.

In either case you need to realize that there is no bulk capability in Flow.  You will need to loop through each row of your query result set and stuff that either into the streaming dataset or the CSV file.   None of this will be remotely fast. It will be agonizingly slow.

What's wrong with using a Direct Query dataset pointing to your SQL server query?

Dear Ibendin,
I don't have a lot of experience with SQL server and that's why I prefer to stay away from it. Therefore the work around with Flow. The Query's i can make in Access.

I understand that I cannot create a dataset for PowerBI from Flow.

For PowerApps I very often use Flow to retrieve data for a collection and that works very well and with a great performance.

Thank you very much,

All the best.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.