Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Byzantine

Can I use DAX to lookup [row,column] from an attached excel of distances between nodes in a graph?

Hi everybody,

Our business relies on a distance*weight measure for all vehicle trips as a sort of "work done" metric. Currently we have an SQL database which contains all trip data except the distances. That's done in Excel.

Vehicles follow fixed paths through a network of nodes to which we add more nodes fairly regularly (as the footprint of operations grows). To calculate distances between one point and another we setup, many years ago, a relatively light Excel with a VBA implementation of Dijkstra's algorithm which computes distances from every node to every other node (using nodes and edges). To generate our distance*weight value, we pull daily reports of voyages from the database, importantly: (departure)(destination)(weight) and then in another excel fill in the distances by consulting the Excel page (from A to Q you look at row A column Q - or inverse as the matrix is symmetrical).

What I was hoping to do was use a DAX expression to pull distance automatically from the Excel file, but I think I've hit a dead end and I have a feeling the systems are a square peg and a round hole. It's my first time using DAX but not my first time consulting a function reference.

1) consult the node table to ensure destination and departure nodes are programmed in

1.1) Easy enough.

2) Use lookupvalue to grab the value from the distance matrix

2.1) I'm not sure how I would select a column in the distance table by using a variable pulled from the database as the column name. Columns will be added regularly I think it would need to be a dynamic reference..

2.2) Given the symmetric nature of the table and the the restriction placed on "search_value" with LOOKUPVALUE (A scalar expression that does not refer to any column in the same table being searched.) I'm not sure I could even use the function.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I might accomplish this, if it is possible - or how else I might structure the data to make it so it is?

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sounds very interesting. Would love to work on this, can you post some sample data (text)? Seems like it might have elements of Transitive Closure. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Transitive-Closure/m-p/783828#M388

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg, I had never heard of Transitive Closure before. Thanks for the heads up. After a bit of research it sounds like it applies to a similar case but where distance between nodes is irrelevant. I suppose it could be possible to use it to generate a path between two nodes and then take each edge connection along that path and sum their values for the full distance. I'll have to take a little longer a look at it.

If you're interested, I can't unfortunately give actual data but here is an idea of what we're looking at

database:

2020-05-06 | place_1 | place_5 | 15-tonnes

2020-05-06 place_2 | place_5 | 60-tonnes

2020-05-06 place_4 | place_3 | 15-tonnes

2020-05-04 place_1 | place_5 | 15-tonnes

2020-05-04 place_2 | place_5 | 15-tonnes

2020-05-05 place_4 | place_6 | 15-tonnes

Excel, nodes tab:

place_1, place_2, place_3, place_4, place_5, place_6

Excel, edges tab: 

place_1 | place_3 | 400m

place_2 | place_3 | 500m

place_3 | place_4 | 40m

place_3 | place_5 | 600m

place_4 | place_6 | 1000m

Excel, distances tab:

X           place_1 | place_2 | place_3 | place_4 | place_5 place_6 |

place_1 |     0           900         400    ....

place_2 |     900        0            500 ...

place_3 |  etc.

place_4 |  etc.

place_5 |  etc.

place_6 |  etc.

Thank you very much,

Byz

I decided to bounce the idea off of a colleague from another office, and we found what I think is a good solution. I wanted to leave it here for posterity. Nothing worse than finding your exact problem on the internet just to see the solution was never presented (or found).

Basically, the symmetrical matrix setup is not very conducive to DAX. My colleague suggested we look into melting (reshaping) the output of the algorithm, that is, to systematically convert it into a much more row intensive 3 column set up with DEPARTURE-DESTINATION-DISTANCE as the format. We'll been implementing that instead of following this dead end rabbit hole.

Here are a couple references:

https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/stata/modules/reshaping-data-wide-to-long/

https://www.listendata.com/2015/02/excel-formula-convert-data-from-wide-to.html

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.