Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Titifeleke

Can I upload and display a report built in power BI desktop to SharePoint site?

I want to display reports bulid in power BI desktop on my sharepoint site. I know I can piblish the report in

power BI desktop to power BI site and then embed the html code in sharepoint site page. But I don't want

to publish my report to cloud ( power bi site).  So is there a way to display the reports built in power BI desktop

on sharepoint site? I mean like we build reports on  excel client on our machine and upload to sharepoint.

Thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Only the 2016 version has the Power BI integration and support.

Currently, there is no auto-refresh capability outside of the Service. The exception would be if you use Direct Query, and then you do not need to refresh data, it is queried live at run time.

With regard to SharePoint Online, this used to essentially exist in Power BI "1.0" when Power BI was much more coupled with O365. However, that modeled kind of went away in Power BI 2.0 and I'm not really aware of any integration. However, it is coming and there is a third party tool for it:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6740156-embed-in-sharepoint-offic...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Your best bet right now would be to use SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 to upload your PBIX files to. Currently, they open in the browser but in the future, they will render the reports themselves locally (this is in the current CTP). You could iframe that SSRS page in SharePoint.

Latest book!:

Thanks a lot  Smpoure, can it be other versions of SQL Server Reporting Services or it must be the  2016 one? 

The other thing is after the PBIX files are uploaded to SQL Server Reporting Services, is there a way to referesh the report when there is a change on the data source?

what about sharepoint online site? is there any way?

THANKS AGAIN!

Only the 2016 version has the Power BI integration and support.

Currently, there is no auto-refresh capability outside of the Service. The exception would be if you use Direct Query, and then you do not need to refresh data, it is queried live at run time.

With regard to SharePoint Online, this used to essentially exist in Power BI "1.0" when Power BI was much more coupled with O365. However, that modeled kind of went away in Power BI 2.0 and I'm not really aware of any integration. However, it is coming and there is a third party tool for it:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6740156-embed-in-sharepoint-offic...

Latest book!:

Thank you so much Smpoure, this helps me a lot. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.