Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I made a model change and have the data not update?

My assumption is that this is not possible.

I'm running into an issue where I make a small change in the model, such as adding a new table and changing a parameter that causes multiple tables to require a refresh. 

Working remotely, this causes a problem as I am getting timeouts that do not occur when it refreshes on the premium workspace. I was hoping there was some way that I could make the changes, publish the model and allow the refresh to occur after it's uploaded. I could then either download the refreshed PBIX or refresh mine later and see if it's just the fact of the number of people using the backend databases.

Again, don't think it's possible, but if there is some magic out there, I'll take it.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

for this kind of scenario where the PBIXs locally its kind of unmanagable for different reason theres a little trick you could try, in power query configure some parameters, use them to limit the data on the PBIX to its smallest expresion, one month, one category, etc something that reduce the file to just a few lines, do the changes you requier, upload to the workspace and put back the parameters to one that doesnt crunch out data and refresh on service as soon as uploaded. 

if this solved your question please give some kudos and mark as solution for others to find it. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've done that already, I think there was some sort of heavy load going on at the server or a deadlock. 

I'm trying to see if, perhaps, I can use data flows or have one PBIX source from another PBIX....Ok, I know you can because this is the live connection source for my front ends, but I don't know how far I can chain it back and whether it would cause the upline source to requery.

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

for this kind of scenario where the PBIXs locally its kind of unmanagable for different reason theres a little trick you could try, in power query configure some parameters, use them to limit the data on the PBIX to its smallest expresion, one month, one category, etc something that reduce the file to just a few lines, do the changes you requier, upload to the workspace and put back the parameters to one that doesnt crunch out data and refresh on service as soon as uploaded. 

if this solved your question please give some kudos and mark as solution for others to find it. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.