Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I have a tooltip per entry to a table?

Hi there,

I am relatively new to Power BI and I am looking for a bit of help with Tooltips.

I have managed to set up a tooltip to show another variable when an entry in the table is moused over.

Example of Working TooltipExample of Working Tooltip

However, I am looking to see if its possible to have another variable when I mouse over another column in the table?

Not WorkingNot Working

Each column in the table is a different variable which is a score out of 5

The information in the tooltip is the reason why that score was given and comes from another variable

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If your data is similar with the following: 

10.5.jpg

we can create a column header table, then use matrix visual to meet your requirement:

column header table:

ColumnHeaderTable = {"Column1","Column2","Column3"}

11.jpg

Value measure in matrix visual:

MeasureInMatrix = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnHeaderTable[Value]),"Column1",SUM('Table'[Column1]),"Column2",SUM('Table'[Column2]),"Column3",SUM('Table'[Column3]))

12.jpg

Tooltips measure which will output different value depens on the value column header:

Tooltips = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnHeaderTable[Value]),"Column1","Tooltip for Column1","Column2","Tooltip for Column2","Column3","Tooltip for Column3")

13.jpg14.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
hsantosh
Helper I
Helper I

Here i one use case if i have rows columns in slicer, i need tooltip for only "C" value not when hover on A or B.
Only when i select C value from slicer and i need tooltip on column.

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If your data is similar with the following: 

10.5.jpg

we can create a column header table, then use matrix visual to meet your requirement:

column header table:

ColumnHeaderTable = {"Column1","Column2","Column3"}

11.jpg

Value measure in matrix visual:

MeasureInMatrix = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnHeaderTable[Value]),"Column1",SUM('Table'[Column1]),"Column2",SUM('Table'[Column2]),"Column3",SUM('Table'[Column3]))

12.jpg

Tooltips measure which will output different value depens on the value column header:

Tooltips = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(ColumnHeaderTable[Value]),"Column1","Tooltip for Column1","Column2","Tooltip for Column2","Column3","Tooltip for Column3")

13.jpg14.jpg

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have a matrix visual, each column must show different tooltips, however columns here are described as a result of measures (not table columns). In this case how to create tooltips that will show different information for different columns?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lid-msft 

My data is similar to that format, so I will give it a shot.

From the images I posted, there is a slicer which reduces the entries into the table.

For this method that you explained, I assume that I should only have one entry in the table for the tooltip to work?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi @Anonymous ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Hi @Anonymous ,

It can work for multi columns and rows, each columns can show different tooltips, if you want show different tooltips for each row, we need to modify the measure for tooltips

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lid-msft 

Thanks for your solution. I have replicated it and it is working as you indicated. However, I am looking for similar solution, but for different tooltips for each column and row. Do you please have the modified version of the measure for tooltips in such case? 

On the other hand, as my matrix is quite big, is it possible to get the tooltip texts from another variable(s) in the data, but each column and row have different texts as mentioned above?

Hope to hear from you soon,

With thanks in advance

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.