Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I filter two similar columns from two different tables without a relationship?

Hello there, by similar, I mean two different columns share the same values, and can work as foreign keys, only in this instance they can't. It might sound a bit bizarre. But currently I have 12 tables in this project. However, I can't build another link between these two tables because it will introduce ambiguity (I have many duo filters which I need). 

Here is the model diagram shown below:

KyleAdam_0-1631891537414.png

Everything here works fine and works how it's supposed to despite one limitation. I want to match the Deals (CRM) table with the Projects (Books) table. The two highlighted columns are what I want to match, they share the same name. So for example, a Project Name can be called "Table & Chairs", and Project 1 would have have the exact same value. From there, there is a link. 

I want to be able to filter a Project name through a Deal in my report. Without changing any of my relationships above, because I need them to work as they are. 

KyleAdam_1-1631891769734.png

Would there be any way to achieve this? 

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Power bi data models(AS tabular) do not need to build too many relationship keys, current they only required one major relationship for the data analysis between different tables.

I'd like to suggest you modify these relationship mappings to use star schema to link tables with bridges.

Relationships in analysis services tabular models 

Understand star schema and the importance for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft thanks for the response but I don't know how I could remodel this into a Star Schema. The relationships have to be the way they currently are for the filters to work correctly. Otherwise the filters will not work. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You need to have a common dimension table with a distinct project id. You can join with both tables and filter of you can use filter values of this table.

If the project table is not joined

calculate(Count(Table1[Value]), filter(Table1, Table1[project] in values(Project[Project]))

Bridge Table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkf35Roman8&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGaaqV92SBD5X2hk3TMNlHhb&index=19

refer

Need of an Independent Table in Power BI: https://youtu.be/lOEW-YUrAbE

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak could you please explain this measure here "calculate(Count(Table1[Value]), filter(Table1, Table1[project] in values(Project[Project]))"

I'm confused on the table1 you're using. I currently want table Deal (CRM) column Project 1 to filter table Projects (Books) column Project Name. 

Would that work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.