Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

modi123p
Helper III
Helper III

Can I change data source from Excel to SAP BW without impacting reports and model structure

Hi,

Until I get a buy-in from the client, it is expected that I work with sample data in excel and then connect with actual source (which is SAP BW) when available.

I may have to use live connection when using SAP BW.

Is it possible to change data source from Excel to SAP BW without impacting model and report design?

As it involves working on multiple environments, I want to avoid duplication of effort AFAP and limit it to modifying connection strings.

I do not have access to SAP BW as of now and hence unable to test it. Links/ suggestions before starting work with SAP BW for data source and best practicesto work in multiple environments with multiple data sources would be greatly helpful.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @modi123p,

I have successfully changed data source from Oracle to SQL Server in the same .pbix file without impacting the report design. I assume it may be a similar process in your scenario.Smiley Happy 

1. Create a new query that points to your SAP BW

2. Copy the code (Advanced Editor)

3. Go to your existing query for Excel and edit the code in the advanced editor

Note this assumes that the table you are connecting to is identical in shape and structure. If not, you may need to Shape and combine the data from SAP BW in Query Editor to make it identical in shape and structure to data in Excel.

Reference:

Change Connection Oracle to SQL Server

Use the SAP BW Connector in Power BI Desktop

Regards

View solution in original post

TORNALLY
Helper I
Helper I

Datasources are a difficult way to get data out of SAP.  Take a look at SImplement's Data Liberator:

www.simplement.us

This platform surfaces any SAP table in real-time, and palces the table into SQL Serverm ready for Power BI, or Tabular, or integration with other data.  Effortlessly.

Mike McNally

mmcnally@simplement.us

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TORNALLY
Helper I
Helper I

Datasources are a difficult way to get data out of SAP.  Take a look at SImplement's Data Liberator:

www.simplement.us

This platform surfaces any SAP table in real-time, and palces the table into SQL Serverm ready for Power BI, or Tabular, or integration with other data.  Effortlessly.

Mike McNally

mmcnally@simplement.us

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @modi123p,

I have successfully changed data source from Oracle to SQL Server in the same .pbix file without impacting the report design. I assume it may be a similar process in your scenario.Smiley Happy 

1. Create a new query that points to your SAP BW

2. Copy the code (Advanced Editor)

3. Go to your existing query for Excel and edit the code in the advanced editor

Note this assumes that the table you are connecting to is identical in shape and structure. If not, you may need to Shape and combine the data from SAP BW in Query Editor to make it identical in shape and structure to data in Excel.

Reference:

Change Connection Oracle to SQL Server

Use the SAP BW Connector in Power BI Desktop

Regards

I agree it might be a lot simpler changing from one RDBMS to another. But a few changes might be required when working with Excel/ Hierarchical DB.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.