cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Bookmarks store selection layer order ? Interactive manual for users idea

Good Morning to all  I had an idead however its implementation is not going as streaight foward as I wished and I need some input.

Users are complanning that they don't have time to learn how to properly use/ read a PBI report (Yeah I know...) So i was asked to do a foolproof way to guide them over the basics on said report. My idea is to put an "info" button  that goes to a bookmarked state where there is a semi transparent overlay and by pressing "next" one of the elements of the report pops up above said overlay and a text box explaining it shows up like so.

talleslessa_0-1641553649922.png

Then Next is pressed and the next graph is "lit up" and so on

talleslessa_1-1641553758433.png

Pretty neat and fool proof... however I did the above by changing the layer order  to bring the context graph in front of my overlay and leaving the rest behind.

talleslessa_2-1641554143751.png

But Bookmarks do not seem to store selection orders... am I missing something here ? or they really don't It would be such a useful feature.

If they don't has anyone done something similar and have a hint on how to do it ?

I can think of afew ways... however they take too much time to setup and change in the future (work with visibility [requieres more work to set up than just moving a graph to an upper layer], split the overlay into multiple boxes and just align then to show different graps [that would create a ton of overlays])

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Anonymous,

I checked the document but did not find it mentions the visual layout of the saved report page, so I think the feature may not consider these. For this scenario, perhaps you can submit an idea to improve the overlay layout used in the bookmark.

Microsoft Power BI ideas
In addition, you can also try to configure the bookmark 'selected visuals' and 'visible' options to manually control which visuals are displayed.

Create report bookmarks in Power BI to share insights and build stories - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , do you want something like this guyincube discussed here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYr_SlG8bpw

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!
Dashboard of My Blogs !! Connect on Linkedin
Want To Learn Power BI
Learn Power BI Beginners !! Advance Power BI Concepts !! Power BI For Tableau User !! Learn Power BI in Hindi !!
Proud to be a Super User!
!! Subscribe to my youtube Channel !!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info @amitchandak !

Yeah it is similar to that it can work but I really wanted to avoid a Static image so the graphs light up and users can still interact with the graphs while the overlay is active (mouse over it to see more info, check the options, etc).

The light up part i could do by snipping each of the graphs and creating an image/bookmark for each of them, but the data would still be static ( just an image)

And unfortunatelly as Adam stated in the video of course my report is not 16:9... still feasible but aligning the boxes in an image would be lil harder (propably having to deal with the graph coordinates instead on just taking a Screenshot)

So I am guessing indeed bookmaks can save the selection state of visible/ non visible but cannot save the layer order ?

HI @Anonymous,

I checked the document but did not find it mentions the visual layout of the saved report page, so I think the feature may not consider these. For this scenario, perhaps you can submit an idea to improve the overlay layout used in the bookmark.

Microsoft Power BI ideas
In addition, you can also try to configure the bookmark 'selected visuals' and 'visible' options to manually control which visuals are displayed.

Create report bookmarks in Power BI to share insights and build stories - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

charticulator_carousel_with_text (1).png

Charticulator Design Challenge

Put your data visualization and design skills to the test! This exciting challenge is happening now through May 31st!

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Power BI Release May 2022 768x460.png

Check it out!

Click here to read more about the May 2022 updates!