Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TahmidBari
Helper I
Helper I

Calling a sproc using Incremental Refresh in PBI - MS SQL: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'Exec'

Hi PBI Team,

I was going through a video (GIAC) on Calling a Stored Procedure using Incremental Refresh in Power BI? By doing so, I am able to fold the following NativeQuery however, I am seeing an error message while loading the data into pbi desktop. Microsoft SQL: Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'Exec'. Must declare the scalar variable "@StartDate". Could you please let me know if there is anything wrong with my NativeQuery? Thanks.

let
Source = Sql.Database("server_name", "db_name"),
NativeQuery = Value.NativeQuery(Source, "Exec rpt_TestSproc @StartDate, @EndDate", [StartDate = RangeStart, EndDate = RangeEnd], [EnableFolding = true] )
in
NativeQuery

YouTube (GIAC): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KXDpi_wyD4

4 REPLIES 4
mwroblewski
Frequent Visitor

SOLVED on my side at least: Make sure that you are getting data in Import Mode (not Direct Query!)

mwroblewski
Frequent Visitor

I was following the same video to test this apprach and I'm ending up with exactly same errror. In Power Query editor data loads without a problem, but one closing and applying it breaks. Some peaple were advising to update PowerBI Desktop to the newest version, but it didn't work on my end. Please, let me know if you find a root cause. But seems like a PBi bug or so

TahmidBari
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Xiaoxin Sheng,

Thank you for the note. I am connected to the dataset through import mode. Please be informed that @StartDate and @EndDate are the sproc parameters and I have created RangeStart (date/time) and RangeEnd (date/time) parameters in the power query editor. Unfortunately, your M query is not working. Thanks.

TahmidBari_0-1675792797100.png

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TahmidBari,

I think these t-SQL statements should be added into the data connector steps instead of navigation step. You can parameterized it with your query parameters.

let
Source = Sql.Database("server_name", "db_name", [Query="Exec rpt_TestSproc "& RangeStart&", "& RangeEnd ])
in
Source 

BTW, which connection mode are you worked? AFAIK, the 'Stored Procedure' not able used in the SQL statement when you are design report with direct query mode.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.