Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TePe
Helper III
Helper III

Calling a non-http URL

Hi,

I installed a custom protocol to open up a local application from a URL. The URL looks then like

democalc://107

However Power BI doesn't allow this, it says that the URL is not valid. I guess it expects only http(s).

Is there any "trick" how to prevent this?

The use case is simply that I want to open a local .net application on a click in a table (there might be different apps depending on the single line)...

Thanks,

Thomas

4 REPLIES 4
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TePe

If you wanna use custom protocol ,you'd better use custom connector. Here is the reference.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi,

I don't want to GET information from a non-standard source (there the custom connectors should help), the scenario is different. Just think about a customer table and you would like to call a classical .net customer management solution directly out of it, perhaps even passing the customer ID as a parameter. How can you do something like that? If it's a web application a standard URL would be fine. But with a .net application? There a custom protocol might help but it's not allowed...

Thanks,

Thomas

Actually @TePe what you are describing is a custom connector. Power BI has dozens of native connectors. Any connection you wish to make, like to .NET data, that Power BI doesn't have out of the box is, by definition, a custom connector. The web connector will not work as it mandates HTTP/HTTPS connections. If you want another way to address the data, you'll need a custom connector.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
edhans
Super User
Super User

I do not believe so. Probably part of a security model. I tried a connection to IMDB as a test, then edited the M code to by changing HTTPS to DOCS (just made something up) and thought I might get a "not found" error. Instead I got a "Don't do that" error. 😁

20200218 14_04_31-Untitled - Power Query Editor.png

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.