Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calendar use

@avisingh hey, I'm using your ultimate calendar but I can't seem to be able to link the date column with my "dateCompleted" column to be able to use quarter, month and year filter. can you please assist. i changed my dateCompleted type from date/time to date. but nothing seems to be working. I'm also trying to change the type of month from text to date but powerBi keeps giving me errors.

Please note that I'm importing my data from bigquery as a direct query. 

Thank,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

I see your date column has a format of 'yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS UTC' and per my testing, that doesn't play well in PowerBI. What you can do is import it as text, create a new column based on that dateComplete column and removing the ' UTC' part of it, then change the type of the new column to DateTime

Then create the relationship with the datetable, then drag the Date column from the datetable into your visual and that should work. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please confirm the following points.

1# The data type of "dateCompleted" is Date and there is an active relationship between "dateCompleted" and calendar[date].

2# Slicers are based on calendar table and you can get filtered data through the slicers instead of having no data.

3# If the Card visuals are based on measures, please make sure the measures are correct.

1.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I can confirm #1 and #3.

About #2 i'm not able to change type to date. whenever i try to do so it changes all the rows to 'Err'. if i use the filters everything will be blank as shown in the screenshots

Hi @Anonymous ,

Just like djerro123 said, Power BI couldn't resolve the values to dates if the format was incorrect.

For example, 10/1/2019 would be October 1 2019 , 1/10/2019 would be January 10 2019 and 25/12/2019 would throw an error if your Locale for import is set to English(United States).

2.PNG3.PNG

It would be better if you could share some sample data about "dateCompleted" and calendar[date] to us.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

@v-jayw-msft @JarroVGIT i changed the settings to English(Europe)

Here's a screenshot of the calendar and a screenshot of the datecompleted column from the data warehouse. still doesn't work.DateCompletedDateCompletedCalendarCalendar

Hi @Anonymous ,

I see your date column has a format of 'yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS UTC' and per my testing, that doesn't play well in PowerBI. What you can do is import it as text, create a new column based on that dateComplete column and removing the ' UTC' part of it, then change the type of the new column to DateTime

Then create the relationship with the datetable, then drag the Date column from the datetable into your visual and that should work. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

@Anonymous did this solve your issue? Please mark it as the solution so others may find the answer to the same issue. Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

I just put in a reply on your other topic, but I think it might has the same problem. The problem is the following: you are loading data in which you think is in date format but actually isn't. Therefor, PowerBI cannot resolve the values to dates and throws errors. Think of it like this: 

Date 01/13/2019 is a perfect valid US notation. But in the Netherlands, this would resolve in an error because this means the first of the 13th month of 2019.

What you can do is two fold: change the locale for import in your settings to something that is corresponding with the datasource. See the following screenshot.image.png

Then, you can change the type to date(time) in powerquery and try again. 

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

What error message do you get when you try to create the relationship?

Kind regards

Djerro123

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get any error it just doesn't work when I use the filters. so so basically i created the relationship and then used the calendar table as a date filter, this is when it doesn't work.

Highlighted in blue are the filters taken from the calendar table and everything else comes from my other table.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Relationship is between "Date" and "DateCompleted" 

thanks,

Hmm I really need some more information. Would it be possible to share your PBIX? If you don't want to share it widely you can PM me the link and I will try and solve this for you. 

Kind regards

Djerro123

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't share the file because I don't have authorization to so so (company) and you can't open it even if I share it because of database security. 

Thank you for trying though!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.