Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tybaal
Helper II
Helper II

Calendar table in english

Hi guys, 

It looks really simple but I cannot find a solution to solve my issue...

I have a very simple calendar date created like that : 

Date = CALENDAR ( DATE (2015,1,1) , DATE (2025,12,31 ) )

I works fine to create my calendar table but my issue is that it create it in french...

Tybaal_0-1620229764198.png

And when I display the month, it display it in french like "Janvier", "Février", etc...

I would like to have exactly the same but in english (with the hierarchy, etc..) And I don't know how to do.

I tried to change the Region parameter in my Desktop but ... nothing changed...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tybaal ,

First, please check whether the option "Locale for import" be set as "English(xxx)" : Go to File > Options and settings > Options > Regional Setting > select English (xxx)

yingyinr_0-1620379819830.png

If the region is set to French when the report is created, once the report is created, it cannot be changed later. Even if you set it to English again, the month of the date will not be displayed in English. You must set the region to English first and create another new report with same info...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tybaal ,

First, please check whether the option "Locale for import" be set as "English(xxx)" : Go to File > Options and settings > Options > Regional Setting > select English (xxx)

yingyinr_0-1620379819830.png

If the region is set to French when the report is created, once the report is created, it cannot be changed later. Even if you set it to English again, the month of the date will not be displayed in English. You must set the region to English first and create another new report with same info...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi guys, I think I have found a trick to change date language even after the report is created. Please follow these steps. I will call this trick "making sandwich with dates  and taking the cheese out" 

muratcelik_0-1653311673867.png

1. Go to "Transform Data"
  2. Find the "Date" column that you are using. Duplicate it from "Add Column" --> "Duplicate
  3. Change the name of the column to ie. MonthEng and right click on the column and  Transform it to Month and then "Name of Month". This new column will be a in Text format in the "New Language that you prefer, coming from options menu in settings." But we will use it with a small trick to "face off" the real date
  4. Now go to "Report" tab of Power Bi and by using the old "Date " column, produce separate Year and Weekdays columns (when you need also days in different language) by using DAX Month, Year function to produce new column for Year, Month ( plus days if needed) in Date type.
  1. For a line chart, make the  usual "Date" column a cheese in your sandwich by putting it between the new Year Column and the MonthEng column as shown below. Then move "Dates" to "Tooltips". That is the "taking the cheese out" part.
  1. Lastly go to Line Chart or Table Visuals and "Sort Axis" ( three dots)  by choosing the usual "Date" that you have moved to tooltips. And voila, now, you have now the month showing in English or any language you want.  You can do the same trick also for days.

muratcelik_1-1653311673868.png

powerbitrick8.pngpowerbitrick7.pngpowerbitrick6.png

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Tybaal , is month created using something like format

format([date], "mmmm")

or what was the approach? On the approach mentioned above, it should change with region setting.

One user has observation in past that regional changes worked only if they are done before adding the data.

also check

https://www.powerbi-pro.com/en/creating-multilingual-reports-in-power-bi/

Hi @amitchandak , 

Thank you for your answer.

The month is not created with FORMAT, the only formula I wrote is Date = CALENDAR ( DATE (2015,1,1) , DATE (2025,12,31 ) ).

I tried to change the Regional settings before creating the CALENDAR table but it doesn't work...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.