Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calendar query by Week of Year

Hi!

I would like to create a Calendar by doing a blank query and inserting some M-code!

I know how to do a regular calendar and how to get the week of the year and so on.

What I want to do is a calendar where the lowest granularity of information is the week, not the day as if you do a normal Calendar!

So instead of having a Date Column consisting of:

DATE
2018-01-01
2018-01-02

I will have 

WEEK

How can I write M-code for that purpuse without modeling an original Calendar?

/Sebastian

5 REPLIES 5
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

To get the week number in Power Query, you can try Date.WeekOfYear() function. 

1.PNG

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and thanks for your answer!

Your solution is unfortunately not a solution for my problem since the key is to get a unique week.

Your solution has the premise of dates and therefore gives every week by date wich results in the same week number 4-5 times.

What I'm looking for is instead a column with unique values of week, like you have the unique values of dates in your left column.

Example:

"Column Week" 

/Sebastian

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry for delay.

I'm not quite understand your requirement. And yes, I'm using a calendar table with every date as premise to calculate the week number. So it will return duplicate week numbers. But, if you want the unique week numbers, you just need to put the single week number column into a table visual. Power BI will remove the duplicate values automatically.

1.PNG

In your scenario, did you mean that you did not want to use dates as premise? If so, how could we know they're week numbers instead of just integer numbers?

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply @v-xjiin-msft !

You are correct that I do not want date with granularity "days" as my premise, but the weeknumber of the year.

My problem is not that of a visual nature but of relational nature.

In my scenario, my sales data comes with granularity "weeknumber of the year" and I want a calendar table with the same "granularity", hence a calendar with days is not appropriate.

I think I can make a Calendar with granularity "days" and then group them by WeekofYear, but then my calculations is not managable

//Sebastian

@Anonymous - I think that the right thing to do here is not to create another calendar table to match your sales budget by adding a column to your sales budget data that calculates a date for each row - in your case I would calculate the first date of each week based on your year and weeknumber and then make a relationship to your normal calendar dimension using the new date column.

/sdjensen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.