cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarmusso
Regular Visitor

Calendar help

Hi! I am a Power BI novice and have been digging around on youtube but haven't found something simple enough to help me get started. I am trying to create a calendar that shows the names of people with birthdays for a single month. Ideally you can click on the names and it will have a hyperlink to their email. Any and all insight would be grealty appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sarmusso 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

Calendar:

d2.png

There is no relationship between two tables. You may create a measure as below.

Visual Control = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Calendar'[Month]),
    IF(
        MONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Birthday])) in DISTINCT('Calendar'[Month]),
    )
)

Then you need to put the measure in the visual level filter to display the result and set conditional format for 'Name' as below.

d3.png

d4.png

For further information, you may refer to the following document.

Add hyperlinks (URLs) to a table or matrix 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @sarmusso 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table:

d1.png

Calendar:

d2.png

There is no relationship between two tables. You may create a measure as below.

Visual Control = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Calendar'[Month]),
    IF(
        MONTH(SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Birthday])) in DISTINCT('Calendar'[Month]),
    )
)

Then you need to put the measure in the visual level filter to display the result and set conditional format for 'Name' as below.

d3.png

d4.png

For further information, you may refer to the following document.

Add hyperlinks (URLs) to a table or matrix 

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

EricHulshof
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @sarmusso ,

Im not sure what you mean by create a calendar, but for now i will show you how to create a table with the names for that month, hope it helps and if you need additional help feel free to ask!

First we going to need a table with names, birthdays and emails. i used this as an example: 
Name      DateOfBirth        Email

Eric 16-01-1995 eric@eric.nl
sarmusso 27-04-1986 sarmusso@sarmusso.com

I called the table People

Next i created a table and added the names and dateofbirth in it. 

Screenshot_18.png

Ofcourse we need to know what todays date is, so i added a measure like this:

CurrentMonth = IF(MONTH(SELECTEDVALUE(People[DateOfBirth])) = MONTH(TODAY()),1,0)

Checking if the DateOfBirth is in the current month. i added this to the table to visualize it.

Screenshot_19.png

Next i updated the filter to Currentmonth = 1. So it allways shows the list of the current month. 

To be honest im not sure how to make "Eric" linkable to an email but i do know a different way. To achieve that we need to add mailto: to each email adress. You can do this by using a calculated column code like this.

MailToEmail = CONCATENATE("mailto:",People[Email])

Then clicking that column and make sure the data category is set to Web URL and in the settings under value set URL icon to on. 
At the end i deleted the currentmonth and this is the final result.

Screenshot_20.png

I hope this is somewhat what you need, or atleast can help you get on the right track. If anything is unclear feel free to ask!

Eric.

Quality over Quantity

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI User Groups

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

April Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the April 2021 Updates!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power BI

See the latest Power BI innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.