Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

AJ42
Helper I
Helper I

Calculations including rows with no data

Hello 

I am working on a piece of work to identify students who are not engaging in remote learning. I am using the Microsoft Graph API's to pull usage reports from Microsoft 365. I would like to get day by day active usage of the service and more importantly show students that have now been active.

I have 2 tables the first table is an export from the School records systems and the other is the report from the graph. I have been able to match users based on the unique id which is synced for all users but im unable to get the calculations to work as i need them. 

Below is how my data looks

Table 1 (Student data system report)

NameID
User 11234
User 21235
User 31236
User 41237
User 51238
User 61239

Table 2 (Microsoft Graph usage Report)

UPNIDReportDateActive Date
User1@example.com123405/01/202105/01/2021
User2@example.com123505/01/202121/12/2020
User4@example.com123705/01/202105/01/2021
User6@example.com123905/01/202104/01/2021

The issue im having is that now all students are showing in the usage report which i assume is due to them never being active. I need to record these students as not active. Below is the result i am trying to achieve. 

NameIDUPNActiveNot ActiveActive Filter
User 11234User1@example.com1 Active
User 21235User2@example.com 1Not Active
User 31236  1Not Active
User 41237User4@example.com1 Active
User 51238  1Not Active
User 61239User6@example.com 1Not Active

I am able to acheive the active count using the formular below, Which i can also tweak to get the count for non active students that exist in Table 2, however i can't get this to work when i unhide blank rows. 

Active 

Active = IF(Table2[TeamsActiveDate] = Table2[ReportDate],1,BLANK())

Not Active

Active = IF(TAble2[TeamsActiveDate] <> Table2[ReportDate],1,BLANK())

Any help on this would be amazing

10 REPLIES 10
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @AJ42 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. The pbix file is attached in the end.

Table 1:

c1.png

Table 2:

c2.png

There is a relationship between two tables. You may create measures as below.

Active = 
var tab = 
SUMMARIZE(
    'Table 1',
    'Table 1'[Name],
    'Table 1'[ID],
    "Result",
    IF(
        MAX('Table 2'[ReportDate])=MAX('Table 2'[Active Date])&&MAX('Table 2'[UPN])<>"",
    )
)
return
SUMX(
    tab,
    [Result]
)
Inactive = 
var tab = 
SUMMARIZE(
    'Table 1',
    'Table 1'[Name],
    'Table 1'[ID],
    "Result",
    IF(
        MAX('Table 2'[ReportDate])<>MAX('Table 2'[Active Date])||MAX('Table 2'[UPN])="",
    )
)
return
SUMX(
    tab,
    [Result]
)
Active Filter = 
var tab = 
SUMMARIZE(
    'Table 1',
    'Table 1'[Name],
    'Table 1'[ID],
    "Result",
    IF(
        MAX('Table 2'[ReportDate])=MAX('Table 2'[Active Date])&&MAX('Table 2'[UPN])<>"",
        "Active",
        "Inactive"
    )
)
return
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Table 1'[Name]),
    MAXX(
        tab,
        [Result]
    )
)

Result:

c3.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-alq-msft 

Thanks you so much for that, that has almost got me there, the issue i have now which i should have put in the original post really is that i have multiple reports dates. Im pulling data from the MS graph and dumping it into SQL. So table 2 will have a ReportDate for each day. I will then need to filter based on the ReportDate but include users where they are not in that days report.

This would all be so much easier if MS Graph would report all users rather than (my guess) users that have ever been active.  

Hi, @AJ42 

Could you show us some sample data and expected result with OneDrive for Business? Do mask sensitive data before uploading. Thanks.

Best Regards

Allan

Hi @v-alq-msft 

Thanks for getting back to me. All the data is anonymous. 

ExampleData 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlvXxzA0R_U_jwkOX096GakJCPpT?e=Hca3S4 

What i have is the same as the first examples but with some added students and report dates. The issue i have is that the Microsoft Graph report i am running doesn't pull all users in the system. However if they are not showing in the Graph report then they need to be classed as inactive for each reported date and included in the total results. 

Im am downloading the graph report (Table2) daily using powershell and importing this data into SQL for PowerBi. The Student data (Table1) is coming from the student records system.

The example you sent over before worked well for a selected day, but to be expected i guess when i added a filter to filter for a single reported date it stopped showing me all students and just students with a matching report date. 

My aim is to create a visual and drill through like the below, which includes all of the students and not just the graph exported students (Table2).

AJ42_0-1610990736848.png

Thanks again for your help

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

I tried implementing using the data you provided and it can be done using M query. The code is as below:

let
    MergedTable_ = Table.NestedJoin(UserTable, {"ID"}, UsageTable, {"ID"}, "UsageTable", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded UsageTable" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergedTable_, "UsageTable", {"UPN"}, {"UsageTable.UPN"}),
    addedUsage_= List.Difference(UserTable[ID], UsageTable[ID]),
     T1_ = Table.AddColumn(Table.SelectRows(UserTable, each List.Contains(addedUsage_, [ID])), "Active Filter", each "Not active", type text),
     T2_ = Table.AddColumn(Table.SelectRows(#"Expanded UsageTable", each not List.Contains(addedUsage_, [ID])), "Active Filter", each "Active", type text),
     FinalList = Table.Combine({T1_,T2_})
in
    FinalList

The result looks something like this:

Capture.PNG

The other two columns for Active and Inactive cna be easily added based on ACtive filter column.Let me know if you want me to do it.

I hope this solves your purpose

HI @PC2790 

Thanks you so much that looks like what i am looking for. Do you have details on how to apply this? Is this a new table or a measure? Not done anything with M query before.

Thanks

PC2790
Community Champion
Community Champion

Here are the steps:

1) Load the two tables as usual.

2) Go to 'Transform Data' to open Query Editor

3) Click on 'New Source' and select Blan Query.

4) Delete the existing code and replace it with the code I provided.

And your job is done. You can further tweak accordig to your requirement.

I hope this solves your purpose. Please mark my post as a solution.

Thank you @PC2790 

I got a bit stuck with this as i have multiple merged tables which i think has upset things a little. Though this has taught me how to use merged tables so thanks for that.

AJ42
Helper I
Helper I

@amitchandak, Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I think the main issue i have is i have more users in Table1 than i do in Table2. I have enebled show items with no data but i need to be able to record those as not active. Do you know if it is possible to include calculations for blank cells? 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@AJ42 , see my HR blog with two date you can alwaus get active list of user on a date

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.