Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calculations from related information between 3 tables

Hello,

I am having problems with the following issues:

The data model is as follows (simplified):

Community.PNG

The idea is the following:

SALESMAN contains the different Sales people.

SALES has the invoices, relating each Salesman and its Client with an OFFICE (level 1). It is monthly data.

OFFICE has the hierarchy of offices (level 2 > level 1), its description, etc.

AVERAGES has the expected sales average per level 2 office (applies to all level 1 offices in that level 2).

With that date, the way of knowing to which OFFICE reports each SALESMAN is by analyzing the month's SALES. The problem is how to reach, in a Power BI measure, from the SALESMAN to its expected AVERAGE:

The logic I have is:

SALESMAN > DISTINCT(OFFICE Lvl 1) in SALES > DISTINCT(OFFICE Lvl 2) in OFFICES > AVERAGES (per Lvl 2).

I have managed to get the average if I imput manually just one Lvl 1 OFFICE, it gets the AVERAGE as expected, using LOOKUPVALUE to get its Lvl 2, and with that the average. But when I try to do a measure that automatically gets the AVERAGE of the DISTINCT(Lvl 2) based on the DISTINCT(Lvl 1) present in SALES, it gives an error.

So, the main problem is either working with arrays of data, or doing the DISTINCT of a DISTINCT. It is done on the by-date filtered SALES, which I have, but I am not able to get this expected AVERAGE by SALESMAN.

Furthermore, if I have several SALESMAN filtered, the measure should the the AVERAGE of the AVERAGES. Any help on how could I get this, which DAX functions to use? Maybe LOOKUPVALUE is not the most suiting one.

Regards and thank you,

Antonio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you try using the formula below to create a new measure to see if it works in your scenario. Smiley Happy

Measure =
AVERAGEX (
    SALESMAN,
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGEX ( DISTINCT ( OFFICE ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( AVERAGES[Value] ) ) )
    )
)

Note: Make sure you have set Cross Filter Direction to Both for all the relationships in your model.

Regards

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you try using the formula below to create a new measure to see if it works in your scenario. Smiley Happy

Measure =
AVERAGEX (
    SALESMAN,
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGEX ( DISTINCT ( OFFICE ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( AVERAGES[Value] ) ) )
    )
)

Note: Make sure you have set Cross Filter Direction to Both for all the relationships in your model.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors