Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexmonegro

Calculations depending on value in column in related table

I have table that looks like below (sample only, its a much larger dataset). The Mat + Plant column is the unique key; the Qty column is coming from another table joined on Mat+Plant that has mutliple records for each Mat+Plant, so every entry for Qty would be an index(match()) on the Mat+Plant key. I'll leave that out to minimize clutter. The rest of the columns are all in the same table.

Mat + PlantMRP Type + Lot SizeReorder pointQtyPlant #MRPT + LSSafety stockMax. level
10000031021NDEX201021404
10000041021NDEX201021404
10000061021NDEX201021606
1000006310PDEX04310000
10000071021NDEX201021606
10000081023V1HB101023202
1000009820PDEX12820101

I'd like to have a column either through a measure or otherwise that  achieved the following Excel calculation:

IF ([@[MRP Type + Lot Size]] = "PDEX", [@[Reorder Point]] - [@[Qty]],

IF([@[MRP Type + Lot Size]] = "V1EX", [@[Safety Sotck]]-[@[Qty]],

IF[@[Max. level]]>0, [@[Max. level]]-[@[Qty]],0)))

I have used the following DAX formula to get me mostly there, but can't seem to use the calcualted column I generated with it to substract the Qty value from it:

MRPT + LS = IF('MRP - Master'[MRP Type + Lot Size]="PDEX",VALUE('MRP - Master'[Reorder point]),IF('MRP - Master'[MRP Type + Lot Size]="V1EX",'MRP - Master'[Safety stock],IF('MRP - Master'[Max. level]>0,'MRP - Master'[Max. level],0)))

linkedin.com/in/alexmonegro
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Seems like I'm still learning about the differences between measures and calculated columns. Was able to just create a new calculated column using this DAX formula: CALCULATE(SUM('Master Inventory by FT'[Qty])-SUM('MRP - Master'[MRPT + LS])).

This gave me the result I was looking at. However, I was not able to use a measure to create the same outcome. Not sure why.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@alexmonegro I don't understand what exactly is the problem here. Testing it with your data and calculated column I can create calculated column and no issue wiht it.

Should've clarified, what I need is to now create a measure or calculated column that takes the output of the calculated column and subtracts the Qty column. Something like this - new column = qty - existing calculated column.

Seems like I'm still learning about the differences between measures and calculated columns. Was able to just create a new calculated column using this DAX formula: CALCULATE(SUM('Master Inventory by FT'[Qty])-SUM('MRP - Master'[MRPT + LS])).

This gave me the result I was looking at. However, I was not able to use a measure to create the same outcome. Not sure why.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.