Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alyona_BI
Helper II
Helper II

Calculation of the sum at dimension level leads to the appearance of incorrect records in the table

Hi everyone! 

I've been struggling with this problem for a few days, and I really hope for your help.

I have the following data model: 

Alyona_BI_0-1665156965907.png

I need to show the sum of [ST] at the [Line] level in the following tables (with current selections line LB6 has the value 683,243 and line LC7 has the value 275,367, and I need to see these values in each record for corresponding [Line]): 

Alyona_BI_1-1665157212080.png

The key difficulty here is that this sum at [Line] level:

- should be affected by selection in slicers [Line], [Object Type] and [Machine Description] (so if the user select something in these slicers, then the total sum could change); 

- should NOT be affected by selection in slicers [Machine], [Equipment Type] and [FLoc ID] (the selection in these slicers don't change the sum at [Line] level).  

I used the following formula: 

Sum at line level =
 CALCULATE(
     SUM('Table 3'[ST]),
     ALLSELECTED('Table 2'[Machine Description], 'Table 2'[Object Type]),
     ALL('Table 1'[Equipment Type], 'Table 1'[Machine], 'Table 1'[FLoc ID])
 )

It gives me desired result but it leads to a lot of not correct records in the tables. For example, in second table I have 8 records: 
Alyona_BI_2-1665157816380.png

But in reality here I should have just 4 records for which the relations in the data model are exists. 

Here you could find the pbi app with data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mQvdpE9apnqv6NbsdyIaJdLd74KuYd7O/view?usp=sharing

Please help me to remove the incorrect records from the tables. 

Many thanks in advance! 

Alyona

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In the green box you are mixing filters from the fact table (Table 1) and the dimension table (Table 2).  That's a red flag. Ideally filters should only be applied at the dimension levels.

You can "fix" your visual by excluding rows where the "simple sum" measure is blank.

lbendlin_0-1665267346021.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

In the green box you are mixing filters from the fact table (Table 1) and the dimension table (Table 2).  That's a red flag. Ideally filters should only be applied at the dimension levels.

You can "fix" your visual by excluding rows where the "simple sum" measure is blank.

lbendlin_0-1665267346021.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.